10g Brackish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Isn't that too many fish? I was told a 10 gallon would only hold 1 puffer, although a store clerk told me he keeps 3 or 4 in his of the same size.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's too much. Which species of flounder are you trying to get? The crabs may not fare well with the puffer.

Just because you add extra filtration doesn't mean you can add a bunch of fish. It'll keep the water cleaner, but it won't provide more space. I wouldn't keep a single figure 8 puffer in less than a 15 gallon tank. So even one by itself in a ten gallon is cramped.

I read the crabs need full saltwater, which the puffer would not be able to handle for a while. The puffer would eat the crabs too, if they are small.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424235467.453433.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424235483.323008.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424235498.486622.jpg

So on multiple sources just after googling "figure 8 puffer care" the minimum tank size is 15-30 gallons, depending on the site. Nowhere says 10 gallons though, especially 10 gallons with multiple other fish.

I'd say research more and come up with a new plan.

It would be an achirus flounder.
Here is my reasoning. A flounder said to most likely reach four inches in the aquarium will spend the majority of its time burrowed in sand or on the glass. The bumblebee gobies are less than an inch and will spend their time on rocks and around the floor. That leaves the majority of the tank for the max three inch puffer.

virginmedia.com/Projects/FAQ/8a.html
This website along with multiple others say blue legged hermit crabs will work in brackish tanks. If they become food for the puffer then oh well. Many people have still said to have kept them together.

It would be an achirus flounder.
Here is my reasoning. A flounder said to most likely reach four inches in the aquarium will spend the majority of its time burrowed in sand or on the glass. The bumblebee gobies are less than an inch and will spend their time on rocks and around the floor. That leaves the majority of the tank for the max three inch puffer.

Right, but every reference material states the figure 8 needs more than 10 gallons by itself. Which achirus were you trying to get? The lineatus which is the common brackish gets 6.5-7" in aquariums. They're also nocturnal feeders and will eat small fish, including bumblebee gobies and possibly the puffer.

You're the one that asked for opinions. You seem pretty set on making your plan work though. It's your tank, listen to the advice or don't.

Okay don't get me wrong I appreciate all the advice. I think I will go back and adjust my plan. Thank you to everyone who offered opinions. Nigel what would you do for a ten gallon brackish tank?

I wasn't saying it to sound rude. I truly meant it's your tank, you do what you want.

For me personally, I'm not a huge fan of brackish for a small tank.

virginmedia.com/Projects/FAQ/8a.html
This website along with multiple others say blue legged hermit crabs will work in brackish tanks. If they become food for the puffer then oh well. Many people have still said to have kept them together.

That is good to know. I may get some too. I would like to have something in the tank that cleans some of the puffer's waste.

If I were you I would either do the flounder with the gobies or the puffer with the crabs, but not all together.

I wasn't saying it to sound rude. I truly meant it's your tank, you do what you want.

For me personally, I'm not a huge fan of brackish for a small tank.

No you weren't at all I complete understand what you are saying.

That is good to know. I may get some too. I would like to have something in the tank that cleans some of the puffer's waste.

What size tank is your puffer in and what do have with him?

I don't have the puffer yet. I am waiting for it to arrive. I have a 10 gallon brackish. I only have ghost shrimp in it, which will become the puffer's food when it arrives. I also have a couple of marimo balls in there too. The shrimp are happy. It makes me feel bad that they don't know what's coming.

I ordered it from my lfs. They usually have them or can order them to receive in a couple of days, but I have been waiting for three weeks now. They said the supplier may be having trouble bringing them in the country (they are all wild caught). I am hoping I will get the call soon. I don't want to do a green spotted puffer because those get bigger, although they are easier to find around here.

I think I am gonna go with a f8 puffer and three bb gobies. But that may change.
Everyone with brackish tanks, what kind of rock do you use? Lava rock, dry reef rock, limestone? I'm trying to figure out how to aquascape this tank. Also what about some driftwood?

Back
Top Bottom