10G startup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jim1123us

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi,
I've got a 10G tank that I'd like to upgrade to a viable planted tank. I'm looking for some advice on how to upgrade the lighting. I have the standard 15W hood light now, and I done a lot of searching for upgrades that will fit a 20" tank and I haven't found anything ( not looking at a custom hood yet).

What kind of lights do the "experts" use for 10G setups?

Any direct replacement for standard 15W set up that will get the WPG up to 3-4?

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks

Hiya Jim and welcome to Aquariumadvice!

Heh, I don't consider myself a planted tank expert by any means, but I am having a lot of success with my 10g tank.

I bought a glass hood, and picked up a couple of Coralife lighting fixtures. Currently I'm running 2 fixtures; one has 15 watts of plant light (6500K) the other has 14 watts plants light (6500K) and 14 watts actinic. The actinic do nothing for the plants, but the neons in the tank look awesome ;) So theres 29 watts usable light, or 2.9 wpg, and I've the option of replaced that actinic with another plant light if I wish to add even more light (no need atm). This one of the ones I have: http://www.esuweb.com/cardfile.asp?ItemNumber=53000&IDProductRelationship=35 and this is the other: http://www.esuweb.com/cardfile.asp?ItemNumber=00722&IDProductRelationship=24

This is the tank over the past months: http://www.myaquaria.com/gallery/Allis-planted-10g

If you are willing to remove the hood (& just cover the tank with a fitted sheet of acrylic or glass - you can make that 2 or 3 pieces for ease of handling), then you can mount the light of your choice overhead.

For my 10 gal, I mounted a shelf on the wall over the tank, then mount a 22" GE 33 watt self-contained flourescent unit under the shelf ($19 at Walmart). Had worked well for me.

I use a store bought glass top. Around 15$ canadian I think for a 10 gallon. Then I have 25 watt screw in compact flourescents with floor lamps. I know there is some light loss due to distance but my plants grow well.

thanks for the great ideas! I would have guessed there would be more vendors with strip lights like the coralife, but I guess the market is for bigger tanks. That maybe the way I end up going. What's another tank after all! Thanks again

You have the 15w bulb hood. Is it fluorescent or incadecent? I used my 10 gal hood and purchased two 60w GE bulbs. These are the spiral fluorescent ones for $6. Very little heat and my planted tank is thriving. Just an idea.

I do one of two things. Either one starts are www.ahsupply.com you can get a 2x13 watt kit with no reflectors for not a lot of money. The problem with this solution is that it doesn't evenly light the tank with a normal glass top. Or you can build or buy an enclosure and put a single 36 watt kit in it and have great lighting.

Back
Top Bottom