10kg of Play Sand in 15g Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Albiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 15 gallon tank and was wondering if a 10kg bag of Play Sand is big enough for a 2" layer?
How do I go about cleaning it before I put it in?
How do I change the gravel over without losing loads of good bacteria?

Thanks guys! :D
:fish2:

Yes, 10 kg should be enough.

I'm actually so disgusted with my play sand that I'm removing it entirely from my 75 gallon tank this weekend. It's muddy, every time the fish feed, huge dust clouds swirl through the tank. You're much better off with pool filter sand.

With any sand, the trick is in rinsing in thoroughly. Place it in a large plastic storage container, or the like, add water, swish through with your hands, dump water, add water again, swish through, dump, and just keep doing this until the dumped water appears pretty clear.

The majority of good bacteria is in your filter media, not in your gravel. You can just scoop out all the gravel without worry as long as your tank is cycled.

Yes, 10 kg should be enough.

I'm actually so disgusted with my play sand that I'm removing it entirely from my 75 gallon tank this weekend. It's muddy, every time the fish feed, huge dust clouds swirl through the tank. You're much better off with pool filter sand.

With any sand, the trick is in rinsing in thoroughly. Place it in a large plastic storage container, or the like, add water, swish through with your hands, dump water, add water again, swish through, dump, and just keep doing this until the dumped water appears pretty clear.

The majority of good bacteria is in your filter media, not in your gravel. You can just scoop out all the gravel without worry as long as your tank is cycled.

Oh good! :)
Really? I think I''ll give it a go anyway. I can always change back if I don't like it. ;)
Thanks for the cleaning advice! Sounds easy enough even for a simpleton like me. :p

You'll be amazed at how silky smooth your hands are after the rinsing process. It's a great exfolliant. :lol:

You'll be amazed at how silky smooth your hands are after the rinsing process. It's a great exfolliant. :lol:

Haha! Well that's always a plus! ;)

Should I take the fish out of the tank while I'm taking out the gravel/putting in the sand?
If there is still some cloudiness will it harm the fish?
:fish2:

Back
Top Bottom