How many sinking pellets, should I but in my 40 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pettygil

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How many sinking pellets, should I but in my 40 gallon? I have 15 Cory fish and i want to make sure all fish have something to eat. I usually put into tank 10 sinking pellets, is that too much, or not enough? I also have another question.
Is having 15 cory fish, plus 5 Glo fish, plus 10 Red Eyed tetras is that over stocking? I have a 40 gallon tall

What are these sinking pellets? A fishes stomach is about the size of its eye. Corys will forage for left over food, they wont just be eating whatever food is intended for them.

I bought these pellets from Amazon

What are these sinking pellets? A fishes stomach is about the size of its eye. Corys will forage for left over food, they wont just be eating whatever food is intended for them.

I bought these pellets from Amazon. Aqueon Shrimp Pellets Sinking Food for Tropical Fish, Goldfish, Loaches, Catfish and Other Bottom Feeding Fish, 6.5 Ounces I feed 10 pellets is that too much?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HSOTZI?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I bought these pellets from Amazon. Aqueon Shrimp Pellets Sinking Food for Tropical Fish, Goldfish, Loaches, Catfish and Other Bottom Feeding Fish, 6.5 Ounces I feed 10 pellets is that too much?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HSOTZI?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It's going to depend on the size of the pellet. If they are all gone in under 5 minutes then you might be underfeeding. 1-2 small pellets per cory is a typical rate unless your other fish are also eating them then you need to add more. It will be less for larger pellets. If there are still pieces of pellets after 5 minutes, you are overfeeding and need to adjust the amount. (y) I do suggest you feed them more than just these pellets tho. A good supplement food would be frozen brine shrimp ( plain or algae enhanced ) every 3rd day to make sure they have good fecal movement. (y)

A fishes stomach is about the size of its eye.

LOL, you haven't seen my Galaxias, rainbowfish or goldfish. Their stomachs are much bigger than their eyes :)

On a serious note, for the OP, offer a few pellets and see how long it takes for the fish to eat them. All the food should be consumed within 5-10 minutes. If there is uneaten food after that time, remove it and feed less the next time.

Back
Top Bottom