12 Gallon Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bedowyn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First of all, apologies if this is a redundant question, or if it is in the wrong place... :)

I am looking for some advice on choices. I am starting a 12 Gallon tank at work. My intent is to plant it and I will be cycling the water weekly. The footprint is 10" X 20".

I am leaning toward some neon or cardinal tetras - say six of these - and 4 pygmy corys.

What I am looking for is a suggestion on one or two fish that are compatible, hardy, friendly and that might be ok by themselves, meaning not part of a shoal.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

First, you should do a little research on fishless cycling an aquarium. This will get you started on the right foot. I would say that you could do this in your tank:

6 Neon/Cardinal Tetras
6 Pygmy Cories

For a "centerpiece" fish, you could go with a Betta (some are aggressive so watch out), Honey Gourami, or Dwarf Gourami

Oh, I will definitely plant and then fishless cycle. I am in no hurry.

Basically, I am looking for that centerpiece fish, as you put it.

As an aside, I am also looking for suggestions on softer and acidic water, since our local tap water is SUPER hard. (It has rocks floating in it :) )

Very glad you have done your research and hae patience. If you are wanting to soften your water, you can use RO/DI water.

What I am looking for is a suggestion on one or two fish that are compatible, hardy, friendly and that might be ok by themselves, meaning not part of a shoal.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

One betta (either male or female) might be a nice centerpiece fish that *should* go well with what you describe there. Only thing I would suggest is, if you go that route, add the other fish to the tank first and the betta last.

Another option, instead of the betta, would be a lone dwarf gourami. Though getting healthy gouramis from pet stores nowadays seems to be a real issue.

- betta/fighting fish
- dwarf gourami
- dwarf puffer
- corydoras
- white clouds
- school of tetras

RO/DI water??? I am not familiar. Is that reverse osmosis?

Yes. It is expensive to get a filter for one though. If you have an LFS that carries RO water for __cents per gallon I would use that instead of spending a lot of money for the unit. Here its 39 cents per gallon.

Stocking sounds solid. Also if you looked into it you could try a pair of killies as a centerpiece.

There are other ways to lower pH too. By adding driftwood to the tank or running peat moss into the filtration you can gradually lower pH. Your tank will have a brownish tinge to it however.

Also if you looked into it you could try a pair of killies as a centerpiece.

Depends on the species of killie. I used to have a pair of Golden Wonder killies in my 29g community tank which featured (among other things) a school of about a dozen neon tetras. Once the killies got large enough, they ate the entire school.

Some of the smaller killies would work though.

Back
Top Bottom