150gal stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilly_mae21

Aquarium Advice Regular
We are getting an 150gal(48"x24"x31")craiglist buy for $300.

My husband wants Bala Sharks.....
So, I come to you all to help me finish(or fix) our stocking list. I do not know how many of everything(will make a guess on a few) so that is the main reason for this post.

Bala Sharks(thinking 2, but no more then three)
Angels(4)
Pleco
Corries( I was thinking two types(6 each))

We were thinking Neons but read that is a NO-NO with the Angels

What about
Rams
and/or
Harlequin Rasbora

Bala sharks should be housed in six foot tanks minimum to provide them with enough swimming room, while the 150 is deep it doesn't provide the length required to keep them at full size. Bala's also are very skittish fish that feel more secure when stocked in groups of five or more. Plus they get ugly as they age and start to lose that silver shimmer and just turn gray. So I would definitely tank them off the list of stock options, everything is else you mentioned would fine.

lilly_mae21 said:
We are getting an 150gal(48"x24"x31")craiglist buy for $300.

My husband wants Bala Sharks.....
So, I come to you all to help me finish(or fix) our stocking list. I do not know how many of everything(will make a guess on a few) so that is the main reason for this post.

Bala Sharks(thinking 2, but no more then three)
Angels(4)
Pleco
Corries( I was thinking two types(6 each))

We were thinking Neons but read that is a NO-NO with the Angels

What about
Rams
and/or
Harlequin Rasbora

First off... We are fishless cycling this tank right? (see link in signature) for the balas, I agree with HUKIT. No bala sharks. See if he'd be interested in rainbow sharks or red tailed sharks instead. The rasboras would be nearly as bad as the neons lol, but as long as you get the neons/rasboras first, and the angels young, you shouldn't have a problem. How about this stocking:
1 rainbow shark or red tailed shark
4 angels
1 pleco (look into a bristlenose... They don't get as big)
6 harlequin rasboras
6 neon tetra
6 orange laser cories? (my fav!)
6 panda cories (also cute!)
2 Bolivian rams

He picked Rainbow.
Yes it would be fishless. We also will be taking water from our 55gel(up for 2yrs now). Plant clippings and filter meida also.

Would the EBR or GBR be good insted of the Bolivian ram?

lilly_mae21 said:
He picked Rainbow.
Yes it would be fishless. We also will be taking water from our 55gel(up for 2yrs now). Plant clippings and filter meida also.

Would the EBR or GBR be good insted of the Bolivian ram?

EBR's and GBR's are much more sensitive then bolivians, and your more likely to lose them. But its your choice. Anyways, I'm happy to hear he picked rainbow! (they're my personal favs as well!) and just to check... Are you testing with the API master kit?

Back
Top Bottom