Stocking list for a 300 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KaylNeko

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm working on getting a 300g going. The one I intend to get is 96"Lx31"Wx24"H, which offers up a great footprint for planting and hardscaping with what I want in mind. I have a few species that are a definite want, but I'd like some input as to any compatibility issues I missed or suggestions for others as right now I think my stock list is a little lighter than I want it to be once finished.

Moving over from the 100g will be:

7 Kutubu/Turquoise Rainbowfish -- intend to increase that to 12-15
3 Golden Dojo Loaches -- intend to add 2 more
4 Siamese Algae Eaters (1 full sized adult, 1 stunted adult, 2 juveniles)
3 Emerald cories (c. splendens)-- increased to 6-8

I definitely want to add:

Cockatoo apisto harem-- thinking 2 males and 5-6 females
Bolivian Ram pair
8-10 Bronze Cories (c. aeneus)
Bristlenose pleco or two... or three...
Amano shrimp

I know it's bottom dweller heavy right now, by a lot, so I need to balance that out. Final stocking plan is going to determine hardscape and planting, which is why I'm trying to figure that out before I get started on even looking at hardscape.

I'm currently considering:

Another species of rainbowfish--Reds, maybe, or Goyder?
A shoal of Denison Barbs/Roseline Sharks. From what I've read, they tend to school up with the SAEs
A Rainbow Shark--maybe? I've read they tend to be out more and are more even-tempered than Redtail Sharks.

I'm a bit stumped beyond that. I may be over-thinking this a bit. With the Kutubus in there, shy and retiring mid-top dweller fish won't work well. They are a rather zippy lot, as are the dojos.

I'm wanting species compatability, but also visual, if that makes sense. If anyone has any suggestions I haven't thought of, or sees possible issues with what I'm thinking, I'd be happy to hear (read?) it.

Congo tetras I think would do well in a tank that size. Not sure how that would fit in your list but a thought. I’ve kept them in 150 gallon but I think the larger tank would suit them.

Maybe spanner barbs or some of the larger, non-nippy ones.

My suggestion would be to cut down on the number of species and put in a few large schools of schooling fish. Congo Tetras are nice but so are other not as large tetras. A school of Denison Barbs would be attractive. Rainbowfish are attractive but they shoal rather than school.

I have to agree with the fewer species, more of each suggestion. Definitely some schooling fish. Tetras are ideal.

Don't neglect the good old guppy! Add a few fancies and soon you'll have a group. They swim at all levels of the tank and are fair algae browsers/plant cleaners.

Do yourself a favor in a tank that large and put your plants in containers similar to these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MQBYVJ1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Drill plenty of small holes in the container and use whatever substrate or mix of such is best suited to the individual plant.

You need some intense lighting to achieve even "moderate" near the bottom of such a deep tank.

I did consider Congos and decided I want them. With how timid they seem to be from everything I've read, I'm going to put them into the 100g once the Kutubus are moved out. I don't think the Congos would appreciate their zoomies. The other fish in there are much more laid back-- Black Neons and Dwarf Rainbows with some cories and Kuhlis. Very quiet mix.

I've yet to see any tetras that actually school regularly without feeling threatened. If I recall correctly, Rummynoses are the tightest schoolers according to some sources, and while they're pretty I'm kinda meh about them. I'm okay with Rainbows shoaling rather than schooling. I was thinking upping the Kutubus to 15... think I could go 20? That's probably a no-brainer with a tank this size, huh? I got to thinking today a large group of the Kutubus with a smaller group of the Reds as a counter- color might look neat since they're of a similar size and body shape. Of course, the Roselines have the splash of red color too, and the different body shape to contrast as well...

Don't neglect the good old guppy! Add a few fancies and soon you'll have a group. They swim at all levels of the tank and are fair algae browsers/plant cleaners.

Do yourself a favor in a tank that large and put your plants in containers similar to these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MQBYVJ1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Drill plenty of small holes in the container and use whatever substrate or mix of such is best suited to the individual plant.

You need some intense lighting to achieve even "moderate" near the bottom of such a deep tank.

I was debating a group of live bearers. I forgot about the guppies! They've some awesome color combinations, and the plant and algae care is no joke. With what I'm looking at stocking, they're be the smallest thing in the tank... you think they'd do okay?

I'm planning on doing Black Diamond Blasting Sand like I have in my other tanks for this one. Add some root tabs to get the root feeders started and I've yet to have an issue with it, and the cories and loaches love it.

As far as lighting, I'll be using Fluval 3.0s. Considering I have to keep them dialed down to 40% on my 100g at 21", I should be okay (and I really like the Bluetooth programming on the phone). I'm more worried about how to get CO2 distributed throughout. Currently looking into both reactors and using powerheads as possible methods since from what I can tell, the tank will be too large to depend on an inline diffuser. I'm dead set on giving dwarf hairgrass and marsilia minuta a good solid try in this tank. The 100g has a lovely carpet made of dwarf sag, but I have to trim it regularly to keep it a carpet and I'd rather not have to do that with two tanks. I get picked on enough about being willing to "mow" the aquarium lawn but put off doing the front yard, and my very reasonable point that it's not 95F in the tank is evidently not a good enough reason :lol:

I've yet to see any tetras that actually school regularly without feeling threatened. If I recall correctly, Rummynoses are the tightest schoolers according to some sources, and while they're pretty I'm kinda meh about them. I'm okay with Rainbows shoaling rather than schooling. I was thinking upping the Kutubus to 15... think I could go 20? That's probably a no-brainer with a tank this size, huh? I got to thinking today a large group of the Kutubus with a smaller group of the Reds as a counter- color might look neat since they're of a similar size and body shape. Of course, the Roselines have the splash of red color too, and the different body shape to contrast as well...

I'm an old time aquarist now with a new, large (180-gallon) planted tank with an unusual community of fish.

Have about 80 neon tetras and they definitely school among their larger tankmates. Despite their reputation for not caring for light they regularly "play" in the lighted intense bubble wall at the back of the tank that provides that much needed circulation in a large 6' x 2' x 2' tank.

I was debating a group of live bearers. I forgot about the guppies! They've some awesome color combinations, and the plant and algae care is no joke. With what I'm looking at stocking, they're be the smallest thing in the tank... you think they'd do okay?

Yes, I think they'll be fine--and thrive. If not you haven't much to loose as they're cheap.

Awesome. I'll add the guppies to the list.

I've tried neons. I can't seem to get stock that's any good... I bought several groups over a few months when I started the 100g 2 years ago and I have all of 3 left. But those 3 are doing amazing. I'd LOVE a big school of neons but they evidently don't like me or the water around here or something *sigh* The Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish are doing much better. I've lost a few, but still have most of what I've brought home.

Awesome. I'll add the guppies to the list.

I've tried neons. I can't seem to get stock that's any good... I bought several groups over a few months when I started the 100g 2 years ago and I have all of 3 left. But those 3 are doing amazing. I'd LOVE a big school of neons but they evidently don't like me or the water around here or something *sigh* The Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish are doing much better. I've lost a few, but still have most of what I've brought home.

I had the same problem with my first two batches of neons. About 75% loss in a week :( They were bought from a local fish store and were nearly microscopic. Decided to buy some from an ebay seller in Florida. MUCH larger and every one of the 50 lived has lived for more than 2 weeks now :)

Back
Top Bottom