15gal selection!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hmm. i sense a really bad fight coming on. i wouldnt suggest all those gouramis in a 15 gallon. the most ive had is 2 and they did okay. but they were in a uncycled tank with non constant lights, nonconstant feedings and they err died.

you could try honey/fire gouramis. their smaller so they might not be so agressive

i wasn't sure on the gourami selection. I thought they may fight if there were more than 2...that's why I asked....i've never kept gouramis before. I may just go with a male and female of a dwarf version. Thanks krap101 for the reply. If you or anyone can think of any additional info, I would be thankful.

My boyfriend has a 29gal with 2 kissing gouramis, a blue gourami and an angel (he did have a neon blue dwarf gourami but he kept getting picked on) and even in a 20gal that is waaaaaaay too many gouramis because even the dwarfs can be aggressive to one another.

You could get one neon blue dwarf gourami and some other non-gourami type fishes =o)

:). have 6 bettas and have people gamble on who'll win. youll win a fortune.

ahaha a betta fighting tank. people bring in their bettas and you watch them fight and then you could win a fortune. and it wont be illegal since the government doesnt care about fish :)

haha

They actually do that in Japan or China or where ever

I think it is just as appauling as dog fighting. Anyone that gets their kicks from gambling over who will kill who is sick.

I believe the dwarf gouramis are more aggressive than their bigger counter-parts. I could be wrong--WHERE IS CHRISTMASFISH???
As for the lobster/crayfish from the link--no go. When the fish sleep and come down to the bottom of the tank, your crustacean will be feasting.
If you want color--there are rainbowfish that stay smallish. I have Celebes and they should reach 2". There is also the threadfin, which I think is a type of rainbow. Both are very cool. As for smaller crustaceans--go for little shrimps, some are colorful, but I can't remember which ones.

Keeper, the largest amount of gouramies in a tank should be two at the most. They will constantly attack each other, leaving just the biggest meanest ones. As for getting a male and female, where do you have access to female dwarfs, I have never seen them for sale.

so...No lobster. That's cool with me.

As for the female gourami....I did not know they were so difficult to get. So do you think 2 males would get along or is 1 going to kill the other. I am starting to feel like this 15gal will look best if it is left empty! :( I don't want to do alot of fish, but I wanted something "pretty".

you could probally get some neolamprologus brevis to breed in there. and they dont look that bad.

and yeah in all my days ive only seen 1 for sure female dwarf gourami

i think menagerie has kept/bred them in a 10 gallon b4. i think other people keep rams etc in 20 gallons. but personally the only cichlid ive ever had are my brichardi's

Hi! Cichlid keeper here!!
I have my 80 gal with Mbuna, a 20 gal with N bricardi (and they breed like mad :x), shellies in a 10 gal and I have 2 male rams and 4 ?? apistos in my 50 gal community tank.
For a 15 gal, I highly recommend rams, apistos or Badis badis.
Badis are not cichlids, but they have great behaviors (more closely related to bettas). Some are more colorful than others. Mine are in a 10 gal hex and they are bown with orange and black stripes--when they feel like it :roll:
I have a few links to Badis if you want them.

now there is a fish I have not even considered....Badis. Any links you could provide would be great. Not a big fan of rams...don't know why! Never heard of Apistos(rookie fish keeper :oops: ).

Krap101 and Menagerie....thanks for following this post and thanks for the good info so far!

http://aquaworld.netfirms.com/Other/Badis/Badis_badis_badis.htm
ACK! That's the only link I have. The other link no longer works :( It was a great article called, "Not as Bad(is) as I Thought."
Found it! (I love google)
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breeding/Engelking_Badis.html
For Apistos:
http://www.apistogramma.com/cms/
http://www.raymccaleb.com/apistos.htm --great pics! Mine are not that colorful :|
http://www.nrm.se/ve/pisces/acara/apistogr.shtml

I think you would be happy with either the Badis or the Apistos.

The Badis look and sound really interesting. I have never seen them at the local Big Als....I will take a peek at Superpet tommorow. Thanks for the info!!!

I have never seen them at my local Big Al's either (honestly, I don't go there much since they sell dyed/colored fish). I came across my Badis around Valentine's Day--sickly little things. Once all the horribly infected ones died off, there were some nice ones. Every time I go to that LFS, I want to bring the rest home. Clearly no one else wants them or knows how to care for them (same batch is still there :evil:).
It you do find them, grab them up, feed them well and you will not be disappointed.

sounds good. I don't have alot of selection for a lfs so I will keep my eyes open and hope some come in. The links you left me were helpful....thanks!:)

Back
Top Bottom