2 fish have jumped out of my tank!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Any ideas why they would have jumped out it was a silver hatchet fish, and an emporor tetra? Any ideas how to.cover this tank?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110502_071619.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110502_071619.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 81
I have heard of fish jumping out but I would think u have enough coverage on the top of the tank!

Hatchet fish's defense when felt threatened is to jump out of the water and sort of glide away to a different spot. May be they got spooked by another fish and jumped out. Do you have a glass cover? It'd be ideal since you have hatchet fish.

I used to have a glass cover but now I can't... because of the clips that hook the t5 fixture on. And just to get into my tank I have to slide the leds under the t5's. Are there any digestions?

I used to have a glass cover but now I can't... because of the clips that hook the t5 fixture on. And just to get into my tank I have to slide the leds under the t5's. Are there any digestions?

all i can think of is get some plexy glass and cut the sides so it fits around the light fixture.

Fishman13 said:
all i can think of is get some plexy glass and cut the sides so it fits around the light fixture.

This is a great idea^^^ I actually did the same thing with my tank. I fully covered my tank and trimmed it for a perfect fit around my HOBs, heater, etc.

Would I just have to remove the whole Plexiglas peaice in order to get into my tank? I am wondering if there would be some kind of hinge or track that I could set up so I would be able to get into my tank without removing everything on my tank?

Would I just have to remove the whole Plexiglas peaice in order to get into my tank? I am wondering if there would be some kind of hinge or track that I could set up so I would be able to get into my tank without removing everything on my tank?

You could buy two hinges and saw out a little access door.

get a hinged glass top. Then, you will just need to move the front fixture (you can stack it on the back fixture) and the glass top will hinge/open. They are commonly available and are not very pricey.

fishfanatic said:

After you cut-to-fit the plexi glass, I would cut it horizontally to whatever your desire size and buy those "joints" for covers or not. So you can just pull out part of the cover.

I used to have one of those glass ones (until I stepped on it :( I could probably get homedepot to cut the glass or something.

Yup, or just buy another one at your LFS or chain store. Almost all stores that sell fish will sell em, and that way the little rubber flange for the hinge is built in. If you have a standard sized tank, it shouldn't be more than $10-15 I would think.

That is what I will do. You would think I had enough lights to block them from jumping.... lol

Back
Top Bottom