2 Gallon Fluval Spec... QT tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if a Fluval Spec 2 gallon tank would be big enough to use as a quarantine tank. When I buy fish for my new tank I will quarantine them for a week before adding them. If they are sick, however long it takes. The tank I am getting is a 36 gallon bow front, and the largest fish I will be getting for it is angels.
Thank You

No. You're going to need atleast a 10 gal, depending on the size of angels at the time of QT.

siva said:
No. You're going to need atleast a 10 gal, depending on the size of angels at the time of QT.

If I didn't quarantine the angels would it be big enough? The other fish I will add are glofish, German blue rams, and (possibly) bristlenose plecos. But if course I wouldn't qt the plecos. Lol

Why not QT the plecos? No...waaaaaay too small for those fish. All need a 10 gal minimum for QT. Personally I'd use a 20, but I think you can get away with a 10.

siva said:
Why not QT the plecos? No...waaaaaay too small for those fish. All need a 10 gal minimum for QT. Personally I'd use a 20, but I think you can get away with a 10.

Because the 36 gallon bow front tank is supposed to be my last tank... So I can't get any more tanks. My mom said so. Haha. But she doesn't really care if I get a small tank like up to 5 gallons

At Petco a 10 gal tank is 12.99 and a 5 gal is 13.99. Atleast in my store. Explain to your mom it's actually a buck cheaper to get the 10 gal, and you'll only need to have the tank up during the QT period. ;)

siva said:
At Petco a 10 gal tank is 12.99 and a 5 gal is 13.99. Atleast in my store. Explain to your mom it's actually a buck cheaper to get the 10 gal, and you'll only need to have the tank up during the QT period. ;)

What about a big bucket I have? I have no idea how many gallons but I can find out
EDIT: yes, I have a filter ( a HOB 90gph one) that I can stick on it and transfer some biomedia from my ten gallon. The bucket is square shaped...

Buckets can work.

To find out how many gallons, you can usually take a milk jug or something that's a gallon, and fill it up until it's full. Amount of times you filled it up with the milk jug full=gallons.

I think it is around 8 gallons... ill fill it up and confirm it when I get home

I just checked and it is only 5.3 gallons... :( my mom will not let me get ANY other tank, after I get the 36 gallon bow front

OK other options:

A plastic storage bin.

What other tanks do you have? Maybe their residents can go in the 36 while you use their tank as a QT...

Buy fish from reputable sellers that QT their fish before selling them. Not saying you still aren't taking a risk, but far less than grabbing fish from just any lfs and throwing them in there.

siva said:
OK other options:

A plastic storage bin.

What other tanks do you have? Maybe their residents can go in the 36 while you use their tank as a QT...

Buy fish from reputable sellers that QT their fish before selling them. Not saying you still aren't taking a risk, but far less than grabbing fish from just any lfs and throwing them in there.

Ten gallon community with mostly guppies and corys... I could transfer biomedia to the 36 gallon... but I want my ten gallon to be a display tank. Is it possible to have plants in a qt tank?

I wouldn't put plants in a QT, no. If you do, you'd want to choose something that wouldn't be sensitive to heat and salt, in the event you'd have to use them. Some meds can hurt plants as well. I typically have something like anacharis in there, which grows like crazy in all of my tanks, so if I lose some it's no big deal, but I wouldn't put a plant I had paid for in.

I would put the cories and guppies in the 36 while you use the 10 as a QT and then once you've stocked the 36 transfer them back to the 10 and set it back up as your DT. In the future you wouldn't have a hospital tank or a QT for any new additions, so that's something you'd have to deal with eventually.

So I will use my ten gallon to quarantine. But I might have some issues when I add my rams or angels. I can't have angels with fish smaller than an inch (a lot of my guppies) and I have to get my rams last because they're the most sensitive. Lol that sounds like one of those brain teaser problems!

Good news! My mom just told me that her friend said she could have their twenty gallon tank..... so I might upgrade my ten to a twenty, and use my ten gallon as a quarantine tank. :)

Good news! My mom just told me that her friend said she could have their twenty gallon tank..... so I might upgrade my ten to a twenty, and use my ten gallon as a quarantine tank. :)

That would be a much better idea than the Fluval spec. The spec would make a cool shrimp tank, though. :)

severum mama said:
That would be a much better idea than the Fluval spec. The spec would make a cool shrimp tank, though. :)

I told my brother that while we were at the lfs. He said he wants to put his betta in it. It is better because it has twice the space and a filter, but it is still pretty small. I told him a five gallon would be best but I think he really likes the spec.

Well the spec would be better than a 1 gal...I guess..if those are the choices. I would put the betta in the spec for now and then give him the 10 when you are done with it as a QT. :)

They threw it away. I will just go to petsmart and get a ten gallon/tank and filter

Back
Top Bottom