Tank Space

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I currently have a Fluval shaker 250l tank. I am wondering how much fish space I have left as looking to get some glolight tetra or some rummynose tetra or both. The tank currently houses 11 neon tetra, 6 otocinclus, 2 guppies, 2 khuli loach and 2 pearl guarmis. Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Can you post a picture of the entire tank?

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What sort of filter is on the tank?
How long has the tank and filter been set up for?

How often do you feed the fish?
What do you feed the fish?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

------

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website (Water Analysis Report) or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, discus, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

Some more details about the tank…

Size - L 105cm W 40cm H 60cm
Water changes done of 30% once weekly including cleaning gravel and declorinator
Tank has a Fluval 307 filter
Fish feeding can be adjusted to suit the fish I have. Currently fed daily
The tank has been running for nearly a year

I am interested on what space I have left specifically for rummy nose tetra and or glolight tetra. I already know that the water parameters are suitable for these additions.

Do you feed dry food or frozen/ live foods?
Do you feed once or twice a day?

The more food going into the tank and the more frozen/ live food, the more the water quality can deteriorate. A bigger water change each week (say 50%) would help keep things cleaner of your feeding a lot of high protein foods.

You could add another group of tetras, either rummynose or glowlights. I wouldn't do both species, just one. And I would have groups of 20 for the rummynose or glowlights, and increase the neons to 20 as well.

Back
Top Bottom