2 type community aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbimflyer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, so I have recently added 5 Panda Cory catfish to my aquarium with my 2 goldfish, and so far so good. The goldfish took to the little additions and seem to enjoy their company. I even enjoy seeing them all get along. But one funny thing that I did notice with the cories is that one of the 5 prefers to hangout by himself alot, I just don't know why. Lol

And I had a question if anyone has Cories which are supposed to be nocturnal, how it plays out when they're active at night when the goldfish want to sleep? I'm thinking that they will start to get on the same schedule as the goldfish, and sleep at night... while becoming more active during the day. I think this is what I'm starting to see happen.

The cories are probably adapting to a diurnal schedule like the goldfish. That happened to the cories I have. Also, many on this forum advise not to house goldfish with tropicals like cories because goldfish are coldwater fish and require a different temperature range.

There is a guy at the lfs who has a personal display tank. Fancy goldfish and cory cats. The temp was, I think he said 78*. I know that is a little too high for goldies, but they were big, healthy, and as active as fancy goldfish can be!

Actually, I think they should be fine together as long as the goldfish don't get large enough to eat the corys. A lot of Corydoras, including Pandas, prefer lower temperatures than most people realize (there are exceptions, of course, including Sterbai). According to Planet Catfish, the preferred range for the Panda cory is 71.6-77°F, so in many cases this would be room temperature (I'm assuming you aren't using a heater for your goldfish). Here's a link for you: Corydoras panda • Callichthyidae • Cat-eLog

The cories are probably adapting to a diurnal schedule like the goldfish. That happened to the cories I have. Also, many on this forum advise not to house goldfish with tropicals like cories because goldfish are coldwater fish and require a different temperature range.

As per my research goldfish temp range is good from 65-75, and the cories(Panda) are good with 70-72. I have the temp at 72 which is ok for both.

Actually, I think they should be fine together as long as the goldfish don't get large enough to eat the corys. A lot of Corydoras, including Pandas, prefer lower temperatures than most people realize (there are exceptions, of course, including Sterbai). According to Planet Catfish, the preferred range for the Panda cory is 71.6-77°F, so in many cases this would be room temperature (I'm assuming you aren't using a heater for your goldfish). Here's a link for you: Corydoras panda • Callichthyidae • Cat-eLog

Yeah they have a ways to go before they can potentially swallow even a small Cory. But I do have a heater now since the addition of the Pandas... set at 72. Doubt I will need it once the weather gets warmer though.

Back
Top Bottom