25% water change in 13 seconds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GIMojo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Let me tell you that this is my first ever post in this forum.

Ok, so im a teenager and I bought a tank for 50 dollars(cnd) at a garage sale. Came with a stand, fluval 403 filter, some other filter that costs 200 dollars retail, and 100 bucks worth of gravel. All for 50 dollars.

Now I JUST bought 4 mollys as they seem cute. I also bought a water testing kit and some peat for the filter. I tested the water and the PH level was too high. I needed to lower PH and my ammonia level was also too high. It required 25% water change accoridng to this book.

Now i read adding peat lowers PH. I proceeded to take off the lid of the filter, totally unaware that i forgot to close the valves and turn off the filter. In 13 seconds, 25% of my water rushed out and soaked into the carpet. I was in some crap. Took me 20 minutes to clean the mess up

I hope this helps anyone who wants to change water quickly.

Good deal! (y)
PH just needs to be stable.. dont worry about lowering it.. really it will only cause you
BIG problems..
It looks like your going through a cycle or the first cycle it seems.. keep testing the
ammonia and nitrite and do pwc's to keep them under controll. :mrgreen:

What is the pH number? It's most likely fine, especially since mollies like hard, alkaline water. I personally would not add peat with mollies.

Agreed, a stable pH is far more important than a perfect one. See our threads/articles on fishless cycling (or at least cycling) your tank before doing anything more...you will be thankful you did.

the PH is about 8.2. i think its kinda high. ill test the water again in 3 days

peat already added, im terrified to open the filter again lol

Just make sure to unplug the filter.. Do you have the qiuck release valves to keep your
prime? I would recomend getting rid of the peat..

Back
Top Bottom