29 Gal. Stocking Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

khartig

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29 gal. tank that is just about finished cycling. I currently have 4-glow light tetras and 2-julii corys. I could use some help in a good centerpiece fish for the tank along with suggestions for another schooling fish. Thanks.

You could increase your tetras and cory's to 6 for the tetras and 5 for the bottom darkness. You could also inquire on galaxy rasboras. As for a centre piece you could look at gourami's, rainbows, or something larger but passive.

Not quite as ready ad I had hope, but that's ok since Petsmart had patience on sale so I picked some up. Here's what I'm thinking of getting once I know it's ready. Taking my cory's to 5 and tetras to 6. My wife loves the swordtails so I'm thinking 4 of those. Will this mix leave me enough room for two gourmis or a couple of angels?

Personally, I would go with either a honey gourami or else 1 angel. If the angels pair up they get nasty to tankmates. If you are ok dealing with that, then I do think 2 angels would fit in the tank. Just so you know, some adult angels will eat glowlight tetras. Glowlights are big enough as adults that there isn't likely to be a problem, but some angels will still eat them.
Harlequin rasboras, zebra danios, purple passion danios all school around higher in the tank than the glowlights that you have, so they would be a good choice for a second school.

I was thinking a couple of powder blue gouramis. From what I have read theu are peaceful, but a second school does have me thinking.

Well my current stocking has changed a bit. I now have 6 glowlight tetras, 6 cories (3 albino and 3 julii) and just added 6 assorted mollies, which are in close contention with my cories as my favorite fish. Would 2 honey gouramis still work? I was also considering two bolivian rams but am not sure if they would work.

khartig said:
Well my current stocking has changed a bit. I now have 6 glowlight tetras, 6 cories (3 albino and 3 julii) and just added 6 assorted mollies, which are in close contention with my cories as my favorite fish. Would 2 honey gouramis still work? I was also considering two bolivian rams but am not sure if they would work.

No sorry I think your tank is now fully stocked and also the mollies will breed

Mollies have massive bio-loads. What kind of filter do you have on this thing?

I think 2 honeys would still work as long as the filter is keeping your water parameters good. Remember that 2 of any gourami may bicker in a 29g tank. Honeys are more peaceful than some other species though so I think it will work, just keep an eye on it.
If you water params hold up well, I think a Bolivian or 2 would be ok. Be cautious about getting a pair of Bolivians and a pair of gouramis because breeding fish can cause issues. I suggest getting 1 of each since you already have 6 mollies. :)

EDIT: I read back through this and saw that you have 6 glowlights too, so I suggest getting just 1 honey and 1 Bolivian for sure. If you really want to, I think 2 honeys and a Bolivian might be ok, but not 2 of each.

Thanks for the replys. I was thinking one or the other, but it sound like one of each might be a better way to go, I don't want no bickering fish.

Yeah, single fish will nearly always bicker less than a pair. I think a honey would be good because honeys swim higher up than rams do IME. I have both fish and I really like them both a lot. :)

Back
Top Bottom