3 gal tank- shrimp and snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 3gal tank with a filter and a heater and I don't think I want to go the fish route with it. It used to house a betta and two rasboras but all died regardless how clean the water was.

I think I want to go the shrimp and snails route. How many can I put in a 3gal?

plecoperson said:
One apple snail (Pomacea bridgesii) would be the max for that size tank.

One apple snail and NO shrimp is max? Or just one snail is as many SNAILS as I could get?

Because if I can get one snail, I'd prolly get 3-5 shrimp. Does that sound suitable?

Apple snails get fairly large, which is why you could only do 1. If you go to Petmart you could ask them to give you a few of the "pest" ramshorns that generally invade their tanks. They'll be happy to give you a few for next to nothing (they have to charge something because of the bag - I got 6 for the price of 1 cricket (10 cents). Although they're regarded as "pests" these snails are actually pretty cool - they can be either brown or a really pretty red. They won't destroy plants either (but will eat dead plant matter), so you could do the 1 mystery snail, 4 of these guys (but watch the population - if you overfeed they'll multiply fairly rapidly) and then a few shrimp (you could do a mix of red cherry and ghost shrimp - I like the ghost shrimp because you can see inside of them - pretty interesting when they are carrying eggs or eating). You might even want to skip the mystery snail and just do the small ramshorns and the two types of shrimp - I think that would be pretty cool :)

Joannde- I have about 500+ of those ramshorn snails in my 75gal and I don't want to get that started in my 3gal because Ive seen how quickly they multiple! but thanks for the suggestion!

I might do a mix of ghost and red shrimp... or maybe get three different species in there.. that might be fun too

If I only have one snail, then snail eggs might not even be an issue. If I do have eggs, then I only have one female, so I wouldn't have a male to fertilize them.

Back
Top Bottom