Am I overstocking my tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

faysalals1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I wanted to ask if anyone think im overstocking my aquarium, which increases bioload, and might lead to increased Ammonia.

10 Gallon Aquarium:
1 Betta
6 Harlequin Rasbora
6 Nerite Snail
3 Cherry Shrimp
3 Amano Shrimp

25 Gallon Aquarium:
1 Betta
10 Rummynose Tetra
4 Mystery Snail
3 Cherry Shrimp
3 Amano Shrimp

Attachments

• IMG_E3690.jpg
    IMG_E3690.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_E3696.jpg
    IMG_E3696.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 12
Not overstocked, but Id say you have gone overboard on the nerites in the smaller tank. 1 or 2 nerites in the 10g. With the nerites i would say the bioload is high in that tank. I would also expect the cherry shrimp to breed, so that would increase the bioload.

If your tank is cycled you shouldnt see ammonia, but a high bioload will lead to high nitrate which can be a problem if you don't keep up with water changes.

Not overstocked, but Id say you have gone overboard on the nerites in the smaller tank. 1 or 2 nerites in the 10g. With the nerites i would say the bioload is high in that tank. I would also expect the cherry shrimp to breed, so that would increase the bioload.

If your tank is cycled you shouldnt see ammonia, but a high bioload will lead to high nitrate which can be a problem if you don't keep up with water changes.

I almost never see my Red Racer Nerite Snail as I have alot of hiding spaces. Thats why I add more of them as they look stunning! But I guess ill remove some of them now.

I also never see my Shrimp, so how can I know if they have babies, so I can remove some of them? How many babies will they have? Maybe just keeping Amano is better because they dont bread in freshwater.

Im kind of new to shrimp, but FWIW I found my RCS hid for the first 2 or 3 months. I saw berried shrimp after 2 or 3 weeks, another 6 to 8 weeks before i saw shrimplets (after lights out, with a torch), and i went from 6 shrimp to maybe 50 shrimp within 4 months. They got braver as their numbers increased and they realised nothing was going to eat them, and now they all just mooch about the tank doing shrimp things.

Not really sure what to do with them if they continue to breed the way they are. Some have better colouration than others, so i may start to cull the ones i find less visually appealing. I suppose i could use them as angelfish food.

I almost never see my Red Racer Nerite Snail as I have alot of hiding spaces. Thats why I add more of them as they look stunning! But I guess ill remove some of them now.

I also never see my Shrimp, so how can I know if they have babies, so I can remove some of them? How many babies will they have? Maybe just keeping Amano is better because they dont bread in freshwater.
You will probably not see your baby shrimp with Bettas in the tank. They make excellent food for them. :whistle: ;)

Im kind of new to shrimp, but FWIW I found my RCS hid for the first 2 or 3 months. I saw berried shrimp after 2 or 3 weeks, another 6 to 8 weeks before i saw shrimplets (after lights out, with a torch), and i went from 6 shrimp to maybe 50 shrimp within 4 months. They got braver as their numbers increased and they realised nothing was going to eat them, and now they all just mooch about the tank doing shrimp things.

Not really sure what to do with them if they continue to breed the way they are. Some have better colouration than others, so i may start to cull the ones i find less visually appealing. I suppose i could use them as angelfish food.

OMG 50 Shrimp? lol that will destroy my Aquarium! I guess ill just keep my Amano shrimp as they wont bread.

OMG 50 Shrimp? lol that will destroy my Aquarium! I guess ill just keep my Amano shrimp as they wont bread.

Hey, I decided to move 3 of the nerite snails to my bigger tank instead of killing them. So the new tank will look like this:

1 Betta
10 Rummynose Tetra
4 Mystery Snails
3 Nerite Snails
8 Shrimp

Is that too much? If so I can remove 1 Mystery or the Nerites?

Id say that is lightly stocked. Change 1/3 of the water every week or 1/2 every 2 weeks and you should be good.

Your 10-gallon tank seems reasonably stocked with a betta, harlequin rasboras, nerite snails, and shrimp. Keep an eye on water parameters and filtration to manage potential bioload issues.

For the 25-gallon tank, the betta and rummynose tetras are compatible, but adding more plants or hiding spots could help minimize stress. Ensure your filtration is efficient and monitor ammonia levels, especially with the addition of mystery snails and shrimp. As long as you maintain good water quality and observe fish behavior, it should be manageable. Happy fishkeeping!

Back
Top Bottom