3 Gallon Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canuckaquarist

Aquarium Advice Regular
I wan't to setup a 3 Gallon tank to hold a Betta for my fiancee. Measurements are 14 length x 8 height x 8 width, I think it is a 3.5 Gallon.

I couldnt find a top/light for this little tank, do I really need one? I got a mesh cover for it. In fact can I even get a light cover for it? Or would a lamp or clamp light be good enough?

In terms of filtration, just going to use a sponge corner filter, that should be sufficient correct?

Lastly, do I really need a heater? I do not want to end up frying the Betta, I can't imagine how a small tank like this would need one.

Any advice, suggestions, tips would be appreciated. Would not have figured a small tank like this would be so hard to setup.

Thank you,

A 3 gal. tank is a good enough size for a betta IMO. The thing with Bettas is that you will get a lot of conflicting opinions, as everybody does things different.

Bettas have been known to jump out so it is a good idea to cover it.

IMO, the filtration will be fine, however read the stickies on cycling a tank and testing your water.

As far as the heater goes, Bettas are tropical fish. There are places like Dr. Fosters and Smith that sell mini heaters and other people just use low wattage. You should try and maintain a stable temp.

Actually the smaller the tank the quicker they become room temp.
A 7,10,or 15 watt would be fine imo. Also make sure the room doesn't get too warm. There again the tank will warm quicker.

as for lighting, if you want to spend the money, you can get a mini reptile cage light. they are compact flourescent and run about $50, but are really nice lighting.

or if you are handy, you could run to home depot and buy something.

Lighting

Sure, just keep in mind how easy a small tank can heat up as a factor.

I use a 25 watt Visitherm Stealth Heater in my 2.5 Gallon. This has proved to be a great reliable heater so far. I'd avoid most of the smaller watt heaters as many of them don't actually allow you to set the temperature, so they do little to help keep the temp steady. A quality heater like the Stealth heater will allow you to keep the temp steadier especially in cooler months.

Thanks for the information.

I just sent Dr Foster and Smith an email asking about shipping prices and how to order from their website from Canada.

Buying a 25 Watt Stealth Heater, and 2 Sponge Filters.

How often do the sponge filters need to be replaced with new sponges? Also how do you keep the bacteria from the old filter to the new sponge?

Thanks again,

you can always get a sand shark filter, which just fits into the tank. I use that in my 2.5 gallon instead of a sponge filter.

I don't believe that you actually do replace the sponge on sponge filters, and if you do it's going to be quite awhile before it's necessary. You'll just need to periodically rinse it off in some old tank water removed during your water change.

Back
Top Bottom