3 neon tetra...not sure...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shynepo3

Aquarium Advice Activist
so i got 3 neon tetras from someone who was going to flush them down the toilet...i currently don't really want to take care of more fish than my 2 bettas, but i felt i didnt have a choice. I've put them in a non-heated, 3 gallon rubbermaid tank (it's 5 gallon, but i only filled it about 3 gallons). there's no heat, but i put an air pump and a few silk plants and a skull.

i dont want to buy a tank or mix them with my bettas (who are in a 5 gal and 10 gal). can they survive in this setup? do they need a heater? heat is stable at 72 degrees. i tried feeding them some frozen brine shrimp, but they havent ate any. and 2 of them seem to be fighting each other, bumping into each other, nipping, etc.

any suggestions that dont involve me mixing them with my bettas? if i did buy a tankfor them, what would be the bare min, along with how many more tetras to make them feel safe/good?

thanks..

shynepo3 said:
so i got 3 neon tetras from someone who was going to flush them down the toilet...i currently don't really want to take care of more fish than my 2 bettas, but i felt i didnt have a choice. I've put them in a non-heated, 3 gallon rubbermaid tank (it's 5 gallon, but i only filled it about 3 gallons). there's no heat, but i put an air pump and a few silk plants and a skull.

i dont want to buy a tank or mix them with my bettas (who are in a 5 gal and 10 gal). can they survive in this setup? do they need a heater? heat is stable at 72 degrees. i tried feeding them some frozen brine shrimp, but they havent ate any. and 2 of them seem to be fighting each other, bumping into each other, nipping, etc.

any suggestions that dont involve me mixing them with my bettas? if i did buy a tankfor them, what would be the bare min, along with how many more tetras to make them feel safe/good?

thanks..

Hmm, flush 'em eh? What a friend! Lol well, those tetras like higher temps, so if there is a way you could get that temp up around 76 (slowly of course) then that'd be good.

As for the tank, arent there large tupperwear containers? As long as you have a small filter and heater, thatd work! I say 10 g is the minimum for neons, but anything above 8 is fine for your purposes. Why not sell them to an lfs? They will at least adopt them for you. I dont think the nipping thing is such a problem, and those neons would also like 2 or 3 more friends:)

I know you didnt want this, but i think those neons would do great with your betta in a 10 unless he/she is a devil:) your decision!

Back
Top Bottom