30 Gallon Freshwater Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kamek909

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 30 gallon fish tank in my room with a marineland double bright LED light and a turtle filter (because i was going to get a map turtle but decided not to) and a 10 gallon heater (not adjustable). Im thinking of taking off the turtle filter and heater and buying a hang on filter for the tank and a 30 gallon heater (thats adjustable). I also have a 10 gallon air pump. Should i get a pump for a 30 gallon? Or juss leave the pump and buy another stone? I currently have two mollys, 3 neon tetras, and 3 zebra danios. They were in my 10 gal but i upgraded to a 30. What are some other fish that look cool that i can add to my tank. I do want the tank to look like it has alot of fish but not over stocked. Im going to get cory cats to clean the bottom. Should i get ghost shrimp? If yes how many? And will they mate and make a bunch of em like snails do? I had snails in the 10 gal and it was flooded with snails. So i dont want to do snails anymore. Or propably juss 1. What kind of hang on filter do you guys recommend? Heater? Is frozen food cleaner than flakes? What kind of plants and how many? How to care for plants? How much light in a day? Any liquids to give to plants? How to stop water from evaporating? Water tends to evaporate and the tank always loses about 3 inches of water and it leaves water marks. Any wipes to get rid of easily? Thanks for any help given. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406574155.013627.jpg

I have a 30 gallon fish tank in my room with a marineland double bright LED light and a turtle filter (because i was going to get a map turtle but decided not to) and a 10 gallon heater (not adjustable). Im thinking of taking off the turtle filter and heater and buying a hang on filter for the tank and a 30 gallon heater (thats adjustable). I also have a 10 gallon air pump. Should i get a pump for a 30 gallon? Or juss leave the pump and buy another stone? I currently have two mollys, 3 neon tetras, and 3 zebra danios. They were in my 10 gal but i upgraded to a 30. What are some other fish that look cool that i can add to my tank. I do want the tank to look like it has alot of fish but not over stocked. Im going to get cory cats to clean the bottom. Should i get ghost shrimp? If yes how many? And will they mate and make a bunch of em like snails do? I had snails in the 10 gal and it was flooded with snails. So i dont want to do snails anymore. Or propably juss 1. What kind of hang on filter do you guys recommend? Heater? Is frozen food cleaner than flakes? What kind of plants and how many? How to care for plants? How much light in a day? Any liquids to give to plants? How to stop water from evaporating? Water tends to evaporate and the tank always loses about 3 inches of water and it leaves water marks. Any wipes to get rid of easily? Thanks for any help given. View attachment 244745

Well, first off you'll want to pick up the right heater for the tank.
Second, I'm not too sure what a Turtle filter is and how it differs to an aquarium filter but you can get decent HoB's or canisters for cheap enough for a 30G.
Third, as I'm sure you'll have been told over and over, Neons are schooling fish, they should be kept in groups no less than 6. Plus they just look better in a big group.
Fourth, the current stock is based heavily around fish in the middle and top of the tank. You could perhaps get a nice school of Bottomfeeding Corydoras to make the base look more active.
Fifth, the food, as long as you're not over feeding with flakes it really shouldn't get messy at all. Also frozen food can get pricey in the long run. If the flakes are that bad for you then you could always switch to sinking pellet foods.
Sixth, planting, I've never kept a planted tank so I cannot help you with that one, I've always found the thin grass type plant quite attractive though.
Seventh, you can use some sort of plastic or glass sheet to cover the top of the tank, this will slow down evaporation and condensation considerably.
Eighth, a cheap algae scrubber to run along the inside of the tank will remove any lasting water marks.

Hope this helps in some way.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I can help with six and seven.

Sixth, I keep anubias, anacharis, java fern, hornwort, and crypts. You want to find an ideal lighting zone by buying a zoo med timer and setting it at twelve hours. If you see algae growth in a few days, reduce time by thirty minutes and repeat. If you see no algae, go up thirty minutes and repeat until you see algae. Then you will want to turn it down thirty minutes. That is your ideal lighting range. I use liquid co2, florapride, and a floramax bulb. You will want to use some root tabs for your root feeders. If you end up using liquid ferts or co2, do what you did with the lights and try to find a golden zone.

Seventh, I used this video

Best of luck, - Raymond

Aquaclear makes a great hang on back filter. As far as heaters go I have hydor 50w heater great little heater that is adjustable and a fluval e series 300w heater. A little on the expensive side but has a lot of features I like.

If you want to have a planted tank I would do a lot of research. Mainly on substrate and lighting for the planted tank.

Back
Top Bottom