40 gallon Breeder to 55 gallon upgrade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trickshot3102

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone, I was considering upgrading my 40b to a 55, but I read that a 40b can hold more fish due to more surface area? Is that true? Do you think that I should not even waste the money for a 55 and just stay with my 40b?

If a 55 isnt worth it, what would be the next major upgrade from a 40b? 65, 75, 90? Thanks!

55 and 65 have the same foot print If you can jump to a 75.

75 might be a little tough right now, but I will keep it in mind when I save enough money :) would a 90 be the same foot print of a 75? The reason I ask is because my dream tank is a 90 gallon :)

75 might be a little tough right now, but I will keep it in mind when I save enough money :) would a 90 be the same foot print of a 75? The reason I ask is because my dream tank is a 90 gallon :)

90 gallons are sub par as far as tank size goes. A 75 is much better and has the same footprint. I would go with a 75 if possible but would never switch from a 40b to a 55.

A 90 is the same as a 75 it's just 6 inches taller. But a 75 would be nice the extra width is great that 18 inches means you can have bigger and more fish.

55 and 65 have the same foot print If you can jump to a 75.

Well I wanted to correct my self....The 65 set up at petsmart is a 48 x 12 tank but the aqueon is 36 x 18. either way the 75 is a better choice if at all possible.

Thanks for all the replies :) I think a 75 would be great for my tinfoil barb when he gets big (he's only 3 inches now). I wonder if Marineland or Aqueon makes a 75 kit? I'm so glad I didn't buy that 55 on Craigslist! As for now I will stick with my 40B and when it's time for an upgrade, it will be to a 75 :)

That tinfoil will need a 125 gallon tank honestly. It will hit 12 inches and its very active it will need 6 foot for swimming space

That tinfoil will need a 125 gallon tank honestly. It will hit 12 inches and its very active it will need 6 foot for swimming space

Oh I know :) I was planning to keep it I the 40B as long as I can. He's about 3 inches now, so he won't outgrow it for a while. He is also a red-tailed tinfoil barb, at most he will get 8 inches.

Oh ok haha sorry I was just saying haha but ok that makes sense!

Oh ok haha sorry I was just saying haha but ok that makes sense!

Oh it's cool :) I should have mentioned that he was a red tailed TF barb. I just actually figgured out that he was a red tailed TF barb :)

90 gallons are sub par as far as tank size goes. A 75 is much better and has the same footprint. I would go with a 75 if possible but would never switch from a 40b to a 55.

I love my 90! I would hate for it to be 6 inches shorter.
OK, HATE is strong, but still :)
If I were doing it again and picking between a 75 and 90 I would still go with a 90. Why not a bit taller?

Yah it's just taller but it just looks strange to me the only reason why I would find a 90 to be better is if you want to keep very tall fish like angelfish.

Yah it's just taller but it just looks strange to me the only reason why I would find a 90 to be better is if you want to keep very tall fish like angelfish.

What about TF barbs and silver dollars? I would love to add some more TF barbs :)

Why is a 40B better than a 55? I understand that it's wider, but it's also shorter. I would think that a fish has good room to swim in a 55. Afterall, that is 15 gallons more of water. But I'm just curious.

Why is a 40B better than a 55? I understand that it's wider, but it's also shorter. I would think that a fish has good room to swim in a 55. Afterall, that is 15 gallons more of water. But I'm just curious.

It all depends on what fish you have. Like for me, I have a red tailed TF barb. He will get to about 8 inches, so in a 40B, it's 18 inches wide vs the 13 inches on the 55. On the 55, a big fish would have a hard time turning himself around.

If you add more red tailed tinfoil barbs you won't be able to have much else I would have like 3 in a 75 with small tankmates and not many.

Back
Top Bottom