5.5 with 3 danios. Now what :-/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drew1987

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all!

Set up a 5.5 in my office because pretty much every room in my house has one, making the office kind of suck. It’s a pretty tank. Lightly planted with an Anubias hostifolia, java fern and java moss. Hornwart coming. Oh and frogbit up top with a hone made feeding ring.

Running a 10gal sponge filter and a little flat heater. 72°f.

An huge east facing window is currently the light. I am going to make a glass cover and get a dimmable led bar eventually.

The reason for my post, I’ve got two leopard and a zebra danio. Also a blue cherry shrimp. The ONLY fish I can think of with my own research is microrasbora (but how many). Also badis
But one of those would likely eat the shrimp.

I’ll be adding snails.

Would LOVE to hear what you all have to say about a few more fish.

15-20% Water changes 3x/month minimum

Thanks

Well I did a bunch of research / was hoping to hear from some people here but the tank is currently 3 dwarf emerald rasboras and 3 danios: 2 leopard and 1 zebra. There is a shrimp (blue cherry) that doesn’t seem to be doing to well sadly, and a nerite snail.

Anubias, java fern, java moss, and frog bit. About to get some hornwart if my wife will give me some from the 20 or 10 that has it (lord knows I won’t take it from the native 55)

This tank is running just a sponge / supposedly for a 10 gal. Very small and has a compartment of what I assume are biostones underneath. The bubbles coming out are similar in size to an air stone so I assumed they’re sufficient and didn’t bother with a splitter and a stone, too.

I think the tank is too small for the fish you already have in there. But that’s just an opinion. I would put the fish in a minimum 10G and up the school to a single species of 10. Use the 5.5 for shrimp after it has a few months of age. Put some snails in there to help the tank mature.

I’ve considered that it’s on the smaller side. Being the 6 are so small and I’ll be doing weekly water changes, I’m not too worried. Strangely a 5 is only a few inches smaller in each direction.

My big worry at this point is if the “10 gallon” sponge filter is enough, and also if so, are it’s small bubbles (similar in size to an air stone) sufficient for oxygenation

Back
Top Bottom