5 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Got an empty 5 gallon aquarium and I don't know what to do with it. Any suggestions on stocking?

Got an empty 5 gallon aquarium and I don't know what to do with it. Any suggestions on stocking?

Red Cherry Shrimp with black sand! A member on here talked me into doing shrimp in my 3 gallon, and I have fallen in love with the way they look with black sand! Very pretty!

Red Cherry Shrimp with black sand! A member on here talked me into doing shrimp in my 3 gallon, and I have fallen in love with the way they look with black sand! Very pretty!

Really? Post a pic! And do you think i could do fish with that?

I'm sure you can put a killifish in there, they don't move much. If not then a betta can work as well, although I'm not sure if he will begin to eat your shrimp if you go that route.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a dwarf puffer. Mines one of the cutest and smartest fish I have ever owned.

I'm sure you can put a killifish in there, they don't move much. If not then a betta can work as well, although I'm not sure if he will begin to eat your shrimp if you go that route.

Killifish are pretty cool, i don't really want a betta though, they seem a little boring to me. Any other ideas? Could i do like rasboras, tetras, danios, or barbs?

Aren't puffers known to eat crustaceans? And no danios barbs or tetras, they all need more space. I saw a guy with neons in a 5 though... They looked healthy.

Killifish are pretty cool, i don't really want a betta though, they seem a little boring to me. Any other ideas? Could i do like rasboras, tetras, danios, or barbs?
There are some nano rasboras such as chili rasboras or you could do celestial pearl danios. Those are both really cool. Personally I like the chilis better as they swam around more. If you want to do a tank without a heater I'd do a least killifish and RCS tank. I have one and there's swimming action EVERYWHERE!

Aren't puffers known to eat crustaceans? And no danios barbs or tetras, they all need more space. I saw a guy with neons in a 5 though... They looked healthy.

They are known to eat crustaceans-if they're marine. Some larger puffers eat snails (mollusca) as well. But these done need to because their beaks don't grow as the larger ones do. They do love live worms but will accept frozen (depending on the puffer, the first on I had only ate live stuff...). Pm Terrance if you have any really hard questions as he's the best at the puffer info.

My bad, I meant inverts* and okay, my lfs feeds their dwarf puffers ghost shrimp as well as snails. You can get lucky and find some that dot have a craving for shrimp. (And yes, the ghost shrimp are torn limb from limb) even if the puffers are tiny, they're sti

Good suggestion with the celestial danios though, those would look great.

So this is a list of what i could do:
Celestial danios
Some sort of nano rasbora
Killifish
And some shrimp

I'll look at all of them and see if my LFS has one of them that i can get. any more ideas of what i could add?

Are shrimp easy to take care of?? Or do I have to give them special/different care than fish?

I don't think that they're hard to take care of. I have some RCS and planning on getting yellow shrimp. They eat whatever the fish don't eat so just feed a little more. Oh and they love zucchini and algae wafers.

When they start to breed just add more good accordingly, if you're feeding them specifically then wet the flakes so they sink. They'll coming scurrying out. I have a bunch of Amano shrimp that swim after the food :)

When they start to breed just add more good accordingly, if you're feeding them specifically then wet the flakes so they sink. They'll coming scurrying out. I have a bunch of Amano shrimp that swim after the food :)

K so i don't need to do anything special. Do they need live plants or driftwood or anything? Sorry, i have no clue about shrimp! And what are all the types that I could have?

Live plants would be beneficial, since they like to forage amongst the leaves and stems. You don't need driftwood (but it looks nice) also, there are many shrimp for you to choose from, a quick search on aquabid will show you the variety. For now though, cherry reds are good for beginners.

Just don't mix in ghost shrimp, these guys are naturally hunters and will take down your smaller red shrimp. Amanos are peaceful, and grow to about 2 inches. I have a pair that keeps to themselves, always sticking together. (They're also good with eating algae, and if fed a varied diet can turn a shiny red)

Just don't mix in ghost shrimp, these guys are naturally hunters and will take down your smaller red shrimp. Amanos are peaceful, and grow to about 2 inches. I have a pair that keeps to themselves, always sticking together. (They're also good with eating algae, and if fed a varied diet can turn a shiny red)

Oh ok, thanks. Are there any blue shrimp?

They are known to eat crustaceans-if they're marine. Some larger puffers eat snails (mollusca) as well. But these done need to because their beaks don't grow as the larger ones do. They do love live worms but will accept frozen (depending on the puffer, the first on I had only ate live stuff...). Pm Terrance if you have any really hard questions as he's the best at the puffer info.

Snail eating is not limited to marine puffers. Dwarf puffer beaks do not grow as big however many people still feed them baby snails. Putting one in a tank of shrimp will almost inevitably at some point result in a fat puffer.

As for blue shrimp, look into blue velvet shrimp, or blue pearl shrimp. There are orange eye blue tiger shrimp as well, however they are much more expensive and touchy.

Back
Top Bottom