55 Gallon Stocking: Sound OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Primetime

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well I bought a 55 Gallon starter kit today from Big Al's for $200 (Canadian) (regular price: 270).

I guess I can start talking fish now:

2 Clown Loaches
4-5 Congo Tetras
1 Bristlenose Pleco
3 Diamond Tetras
2 Angelfish
2 Neon Blue Dwarf Gouramis

Sound ok?
I really wanted Bala Sharks, but decided to get Clown Loaches instead because 2 Balas wouldnt be happy in a 55, and I cant get anymore than that anyway.

Sounds great....
Remember the clowns will eventually get big....
I think in a 55g you might be able to fit a few more tetras, or if you want to add a little more color, something like cherry barbs. Not sure on the angels, will let someone else with more knowlege of angels to see if more can be added. But yes, that is a good setup.

Lonewolfblue said:
Sounds great....
Remember the clowns will eventually get big....
I think in a 55g you might be able to fit a few more tetras, or if you want to add a little more color, something like cherry barbs. Not sure on the angels, will let someone else with more knowlege of angels to see if more can be added. But yes, that is a good setup.
Alright thanks ALOT! I like cherry barbs quite a bit. I also like rosy barbs but they are supposed to be aggressive, so I dont wana risk it. I might actually get 4 juvenile angels for breeding purposes.

You should keep an eye on your dwarf gourami's when you add them (if they are both male) Mine became extermely territorial at first, but now are fine. Just watch for nipped fins. I have no idea about the angels i know they prefer slightly acidic water...thats why i don't want to buy any my pH is above 7.5...

Clown loaches are schooling fish so they prefer to be in groups I dont think they would do as well as a pair. Preferably try to keep them in groups of 4 or more. Same with diamond tetras and congo tetras, each species would be far happier in a school of 6.

Based on past experience, 2 male dwarf gouramis tend to pick on each other. You could expect some agression (as they are related to bettas) so it would be better to get 3 dwarf gouramis. That way they won't just be fighting head on and their agressions will be divided.

A nice south american tank, I've always wanted to have some of those fish myself :) when i get a huge tank.

2 Clown Loaches
4-5 Congo Tetras
1 Bristlenose Pleco
3 Diamond Tetras
2 Angelfish
2 Neon Blue Dwarf Gouramis

I would say

3 Clown Loaches
5 Congo Tetras
1 Bristlenose Pleco
5 Diamond Tetras
2 Angelfish

The gouramis, while very pretty would make any treatments to the tank a specialized thing, they are a labrynth organ fish from what I understand, also removing them allows a bit more fish.

My clowns I've noticed tend to scavange in 3's , I think that would be bare minimum for a happy school, at maturity it's 21" of fish tho doubtful they will get quite that large.

Congo's and Diamonds (tetras in general) seem happier in groups of odd numbers, (not sure why that is, I've just read it in a couple of places) the congo's will be 15" total length, Diamonds will be 12.5" grown length.

making the total length in the tank so far 38.5", a bn pleco and 2 angels won't max out your tank, but it will make it easily managable.

Just my thoughts.

I had a pair of rosy barbs (to eat algae ... which they did well) and didn't have any aggression with them (had platys and tetras at the time with them). I don't think rosy's are as "aggressive" (nippy is a better word) as tiger barbs.

Thanks for the suggestions. I like that list Wizzard of Ozz. I dunno if a 55 would be big enough for Clown Loaches though. I'll have to do some research, but I'll definately consider it.

I actually dont like the bristlenose pleco at all. I was wondering if there were other small plecos good for a tank with live plants. I am also on kind of a tight budget so I would prefer a nice small Pleco thats cheap. Unless a common pleco would be ok in a 55 gallon tank, which I doubt.

Thanks for all the comments guys! Really appreciate it.

There are quite a few dwarf plecos that stay under 4". The 2 I have are a rubber nose pleco (got him for $1.99 at www.thatfishplace.com) and a Queen Arabasque pleco. I've also had a Gold Nugget Pleco ... but of course the fancier the pleco looks, typically the more expensive they are. But check out the rubber nose ... he's not much to look at but they are supposed to be decent cleaners.

Having the clown's in a 55 is fine since a bulk of your fish are low waste producers (tetras), 3 would be the better number, you can get them cheaper if you get jeuvinile and let them grow up, if you find they are to big, clown loaches that are 4" would fetch a fair penny at the LFS, or even as a trade in you could get another 3 jeuv. and still get some other stuff. Just a thought.

Pleco's I'll leave up to someone else, but I can say, DON'T GET A SAILFIN.,

as for rosy barbs, I've never kept any, but I hear they are great for BBA.

Awesome! The rubbernose pleco looks pretty good actually. I like clown plecos too. I might get 1 rubbernose and 1 clown (but the clown would have to be bought after a few months). Im gonna go with 3 Clown Loaches afterall, unless something drastic happens to change my mind. Btw, Wiz of oz whats a BBA?

BBA = Black Brush Algae

since I got rid of the barbs (when I added my cichlids) ... I've got a bunch growing ... on my driftwood, it looks like fur (LOL).

a Clown Pleco? Avoid it, it's a panaque (has a rasp) and will require constant addition of driftwood to avoid it scraping at the glass, plants and anything it can get it's sucker on. They leave more waste then a typical pleco, and that's saying alot since they don't pick up all the wood shavings..

Sorry I didn't say what BBA was, I've got some coming up on some of my plants, I have removed the leaves/stems on some, but haven't been able to isolate why it's starting to grow. (had a bout with it a while ago, the clown loaches ate a bunch, guess some more came in with a new plant.. Don't know that much about it, except 1 or 2 people have had to break down an entire tank to get rid of it.

Alright, I hope I never have to encounter any of that. I am also not gonna get the clown pleco. I'll probably get the rubbernose if they are selling it at big als (my LFS).
Thanks.

I totally forgot to mention. I also have 2 Otos, and 3 Platies. Would they get eaten or bothered by any of the fish on my list, cuz if so, I'll trade them in.

aH, didn't notice you were in Toronto, if you get a chance, stop by the BigAls in Oakville (on Kerr, just past trafalger coming from T.O.), I've checked out the one in Scarb, and Mississauga and they seem to pale in comparison. Also the staff there are quite compitent, albeit opinionated, but we all are in our own respect.

As for platies, I would trade them in, if only for the sake of not having them in the tank, they produce more waste then the tetras and have a bad habit of multiplying like rabbits. The otto's are fine.

Back
Top Bottom