60 gallon not level!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

current516

Aquarium Advice Activist
When I set the tank up 2 weeks ago I checked to see if it was level before I filled it with water. And it was. I was psyched cause the last floor I set it up on was uneven.

Last night I looked at the water level. Yup, not level! I think something must have settled :? rookie mistake I guess. :oops:

The tank is 60g - 48" long 13"wide 24" tall.

Along the 48" length it is 1/8" of an inch off from one edge to the other.

Is that allot?
Should I be concerned?

I've got live plants, snails and shrimp in there. I'm thinking I'm going to have to drain it down to about 3" of water and get help to try to level it.

Do you think this is necessary? or could I leave it?

Check your floor and your stand for settling/warping. Something structural has happened to put your tank out of level - shimming up one side of the stand isn't the right solution, at least not without finding out why it settled first.

Chances are, it's no big deal. But it could be a warning sign of structural failure.

What floor of your house is the tank on? If it's the first floor, what is your foundation (concrete slab, wood frame, etc.)? What type of flooring is it on (carpet, hardwood, vinyl)? How close is the tank to the wall?

What kind of stand do you have (wood, metal)? Is it solid wood, or particle board/MDF? Is it designed for aquariums?

1/8" is not much at all over 4 feet. Assuming the structure is all ok (on concrete slab or close to a load bearing wall) I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep the water filled above the top border of the tank so you can't see that it's not level from the outside.

The questions src asked are definitely worth looking at, but chances are it isn't something to worry about.

I would guess that you used a short, 1 foot level? It wouldn't be but about a 16th off,and probably looked level. A 3 foot level would have caught it but not too many have those. Like the others said double check the floor if on a conventional but 1/8 inch over 4 feet, i think you did good.

Back
Top Bottom