60G advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok I got the 60g tank what filter is good for this type of tank? should I just get another biowheel or just get a canister? how much powerhead if any do I need or does canister makes good enough flow? what other active colorful fish may i get for this 60g including what i have on my 20g tank since I might sell it or trade it I only have room for one tank. how much gravel should I get? etc.

Canister - Fluval 404 is great for that size tank. If you want, you could use the spraybar that comes separately.

Substrate - At least 1lb per gal. Smooth pea sized is great.

I think you should definately go with a canister filter. If using the canister, you really don't need a power head. I don't have any in my tanks because my canisters provide enough water current.

If I were you, I would increase the numbers of the fish that you currently have. Add some more platties, guppies (of the same sex), Killi's, and Tetras. It would look pretty cool with several schools of fish. You could even get some German Blue Rams.

Agreed with everything JChillin and Fishyfan said! although, I'd look into some other substrates as well . . . did you ever consider a sand substrate? If you don't have live plants then 1" of pool filter sand might make a really easy and unique substrate. Just an idea . . . it's also very cheap!

Pool filter sand would make an excellent substrate. It's alot cheaper than gravel from the lfs. I bought a 50 lb bag for $6. Our lfs charges $1 per lb for gravel. 8O What kind of substrate would you like info on?

I have some pics of the sand in my gallery. I mixed it with some black sand to give it a peppered look so you can't see the fish poop as much. The pics in my gallery are a little outdated, but you will get the idea.

is 80bucks good price for a 60g tank? what is better glass or acrylic?

Does that price include the stand, hoods, lights, or any other accessories? I prefer glass because it is harder to scratch and is cheaper.

what would be the best active school fish for tis size and how many?

True Rummynose Tetras are good at schooling, but I would not recommend it since they are mid to bottom dwellers and the crab will most likely eat them quickly. Do you have issues with the crab eating your fish?

I never seen him eat one and do you think that would be a consern in a 60g tank?

Back
Top Bottom