72 gallon Tank refresh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zherman32

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Long time lurker, first time poster here:

I have a 72 gallon bowfront that for the last several years has been a Tanganyikan tank. I am thinking of switching to a South American Cichlid tank, with blue jack dempseys as the centerpeices. I'm smitten with them!

What recommendations for tankmates would you guys recommend? I'm not necessarily looking for other "agressive" cichlids, but I'm curious what others have successfully been able to put together. Thanks in advance!

hmmmm lets see

Well the Jacks will be fairly aggressive once larger. So I suggest looking into the following species;Acarichthys heckelii aka thread finned cichlid Very good looking fish. Thorichthys meeki aka Fire mouth cichlid. Always a fave As well look into the Archocentrus (Cichlasoma) nigrofasciatus (wow that was a mouth full) aka Convict cichlid these should give you a good start for your tank. I tried much the same thing when I moved just recently and got very bored with the south americans. Not to say I did not like them I just found the African tank much more fun to look at. So I switched back. Well good luck

I've heard that some people get bored with the South Americans, but also some people swear by them..

Anyone have any suggestions for cleaning crew/ target-dither fish?

It's always a mixed bag when combining new world cichlids. For the record I've never gotten bored with them. They are attractive intelligent fish that have always provided me great pleasure in keeping them.

My advice would be to buy only young fish. Very often fish that grow up together are more tolerant of each other. Bear in mind they are still cichlids and will become territoreal and aggressive as breeding time approaches.

JDs are terrific fish. I think Green Terrors make decent tankmates. A common pleco and any catfish that attains a decent size would be no problem. Avoid the really nasty cichlids such as Red Devils and cichlids without teeth such as oscars and severum. Have fun.

Back
Top Bottom