A different kind of cycle...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pitt420dude

Aquarium Advice Addict
Pittsburgh! Home of the 6 Time Superbowl Champs!
Hi everybody (this is going to be a long post),

My name is Heath and I've been a member here a long time but haven't posted in about 3-4 years. The cycle I refer to in my title is my own personal fish-keeping cycle. I have a 22 month old daughter now named Abigail, and due to her arrival and moving, I got rid of my 55 gallon planted aquarium. I now only have a 10 gal and a 20 gal long. (I sold the 55 gal to a friend and it is in his law office and I can still see it!!!)

I will get real into my aquariums for a year or two, and then a year or two will go by and I pay little to no attention to them whatsoever besides the bare minimum feeding and cleaning.

Well I am on an upswing again. About a month ago I lost my pride and joy. He was a full-grown male Texas Cichlid named Killer. He was awesome and VERY aggressive. He was rescued by me initially from a very bad situation: my frat brother had no food for him, a crappy filter and half the water evaporated. He was raised in my tank, and he unfortunately died in my tank.

I was away in Mexico for 10 days (dirt-biking down the entire baja peninsula) and his filter stopped working (mostly due to not being cleaned by me for a long while) and I think he suffocated because the water wasn't moving. This really upset me because his under gravel filter powerhead was busted for months and I never got it fixed because of the other filter. Since the other filter broke down while I was away I felt completely responsible for his death. Illness, old age, and parameter issues are sad but "better" reasons to lose a fish. This death I feel was just due to my own lazyness and inattentiveness to him.

I was really upset. I never cried before when a fish died but he was a friend and this was my fault. He had a lot of personality. I always would dare my friends to hold their pinky in his tank for 5 seconds and NOBODY ever successfully did it. He knocked my dad's sunglasses out of his hand one time when my dad was testing him, lol.

My wife called me in Mexico and I told her to do a big PWC and put an airstone in but I think it was too late. He was the only fish I ever buried, I planted a Japanese fingerlace maple above the place where I buried him. I had my wife and daughter and two friends over to help me plant the tree. I said a few words and that was it. Hopefully the tree will last a very very long time. You can see a younger version of him in my profile pic. I had him for 8 years in a 20 gal, long aquarium.

I gutted the aquarium, lost the UGF, trashed the gravel, bought a new Aquaclear 50, and fixed the other HOB filter that clogged. I bought a 20 lb bag of eco-complete and am doing a fishless cycle now using a half of a shrimp and a big handful of gravel from my LFS as seeding material for the filters. I used a razor and scraped the glass as best I could. I used distilled white vinegar to get rid of the gunk (calcium, lime, etc.). I am starting completely new. Nothing except the tank itself and the old filter are being re-used. It looks great, but slightly used, which it is so I'm fine with it.

I really don't know what I'll do yet with a 20gal long. I'll tell you this much though, I LOOOOVE having only a 20 gal tank. The last time I have payed a tank this much attention was my 55 gal planted and it was sooo expensive. This stuff is cheap cheap cheap. My aquaclear 50 was only 35 bucks and the eco-complete only 25 or so. I may get another bag or supplement it with black sand but haven't decided.

I know I want a community tank of tropical freshwater fish. I loved Killer and miss him. It was especially therapeutic cleaning his tank and thinking of him while doing it; but I won't lie: I've been thinking over the past year or two of what I would do with it once he passed.

I stopped by my LFS (Elmer's in Pittsburgh) and they graciously gave me two big handfuls of gravel as seeding material for my filters. I dumped the gravel in there, lost the charcoal that came with my aquaclear and replaced it with more bio-media. I have it at 78 degrees with two filters running, half a shrimp in there and an air-stone so my guess is 10days and my biological bacteria filter will be ready to go. I'll stock slowly.

I'm interested to see how many of my old friends are still active in here. Purrbox, happygirl, Antiasang, meegosh are all people I haven't spoken to in a long time. It's good to be back again and I'm just sad it is under this pretense. At least it is exciting to be at this part of my cycle again.

Any tips for stocking? The only thing I'm sure of is that I will go planted and do want a community tank. It will be all-natural too. Rocks, plants and fish.

Thanks for reading!

-Heath

I'm sorry to hear about Killer, it hurts to lose any pet, especially when it feels like it might have been partly your fault.
I'm new and working on stocking a 20 gallon long tank myself. And have done a lot of research. If you want schooling fish for a community, look into nano fish like chili rasboras, harlequin rasboras, tetras, dwarf cory catfish for the bottom. You can have a couple of school's of 6-8 if the bio load is light, one top swimmer and one bottom, and a center piece fish or pair of fish, dwarf gouramis, honey gouramis, single betta male or female (this rules out shrimp though), possibly a pair of dwarf cichlids if you don't have cory's like apistogramma, caucatoides, etc.
There's a rice fish called Daisy's ricefish I just found at my LFS. The males are blue with red on the edges of their gills and fins and the females have the same markings but are yellow and red. ( I immediately went home and researched them after seeing them.) They are a schooling nano fish. They would be fun to have. I want some, but my store only has males and if I decide on them as my second school I would want both males and females.
Also, if your fish are small and peaceful, you can have quite a few adult red cherry shrimp. They are colourful and more interesting than I originally thought, but bigger fish may eat them.
Of course, do your own research, but may be this will give you a place to start.

Thanks for the condolences about Killer.

There is NO WAY I'm not getting a few Gouramis. I love them. They're beautiful, social, graceful swimmers, and I love the way they feel around with their little feelers.

Other than that I don't really have much figured out, and two gouramis don't help me narrow it down that much since they're compatible with just about everything.

I'll get a pleco or two for sure (probably clown pleco). I will also get some coryies, maybe Julii. Ill just have to see. Soooooo exciting!!

Clowns would be a little to big- a pitbull or britlenose will be better

A clown pleco is too big for a 20gal long? Are you sure? I had one before in my 55 gal but he as tiny. I had him for about a year or so, he almost never left my piece of driftwood and never got more than 4-5 inches big. He was not an active simmer and rarely left the driftwood without being coaxed out by an algae wafer.

I really think a clown is fine they gar the same size as a bristlenose probably a little smaller most of the time.

Sorry for your loss.

If you are set on cichlids again, I would recommend a pair of cons or fire mouths. A 20L isn't really suitable for a larger cichlid.

If I had a smaller tank like that I am almost 100% sure I would do a school of (exodons/bucktooth tetras) prolly around 10 or so. But that's about all you could have as they are highly aggressive and are known as "a poor mans piranha". Super cool fish I will own some one day.

Anyways good luck with your stocking.

And again sorry for the loss most people who don't keep the more highly personable fish have no idea what kind of pet they really are.

Thanks very much for the kind words and Ideas. I really like the idea of one school of 10 but am sort of set on a community tank. I actually overstock my tank.

I think most people do. I don't strictly follow the 1 inch of fish per gallon rule. Actually I think very few rules of fish-keeping should be strictly followed. If you're careful, I've found you can deviate, albeit only slightly.

Cichlids, for example, a fish where if you WAY overstock them, they're perfectly happy in a species tank. You just have to keep up on your PWC's and maintenance. I have some food for thought about the species tank but am pretty sure I want a community tank.

The inch per gal isnt accurate and is generally disregarded here
It prompts people to do crazy stocks like 1 inch common goldfish in bowls

Back
Top Bottom