a few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPKeenan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
First off I am cycling a tank for my daughter.
Second I have struggled with ich in a 30g tank.

1> I had the ammonia at 8+ppm in the cycling tank. I changed out water till it was 2-4ppm. I have used filter media from an established tank, as well as some gravel in a net. 3or 4 days and the ammonia level has not changed. Water Parameters are pH 7.6 ammonia 2-4, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.

2> The nitrates in my 30g tank are down to 0. I have two sickly looking plants in there. The ammonia level is down, was hovering around .5ppm with the nitrates at a constant 10. I dosed the tank for ich, last of the three treatments are over and I am running the tank hot (about 84F) to kill off any of the remaining ich.

I know water changes never hurt, and plan on doing another water change on the 30g tank on saturday or sunday. My nitrates out of the tap are usually at 5 or 10. And it should hopefully bring the ammonia down to 0.

Just wanting to know if I killed the cycle effect in the 20g tank. And what is up with the nitrates in the 30g tank dropping to 0.

1 smart move 8+ is way too high shoot for 4-5. it takes time even with filter media. depending on how much bacteria that was added prob 1-3 weeks.

2 plants use nitrate so maybe it was that.

Dropping nitrate in fresh water can only be growing plants, algae bloom or a bad test kit. One of those has happened.

might be the plants liking the temp boost and a bit of a drop in light (time wise). I was sort of shocked cause the one tank has been giving me problems.

I did stir up the gravel when I did the 50%+ drain, trying to kick up any of the ich hiding in the gravel, so far no algae bloom but the plants are looking healthier.

Back
Top Bottom