A question about my Black Ghost Knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GNarnian

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all! Man, I haven't been on here in forever! :)

Anyway, my BGK Haku (aka panda face) that I got as a little thing is now growing up! :-D At a guess, he's about 9 inches now. He seems pretty happy in his 125 tank, but I had some questions for those that keep them. Hopefully there are some on here that do!

First, do these guys get more sluggish as they get older? I've noticed that he isn't as active now as he was before.

Second, now that he is this size, how often should I be feeding him? I don't want to over-feed him, and I can't seem to find a solid answer on web pages. Any extra information would be good for him!

His diet doesn't change as he gets older. Just keep feeding him frozen blood worms, shrimp and hikari pellets.

My 12inch ghost knife was able to swallow 1-cube of blood worms!
I only fed him once a day.

As for becoming sluggish. They do become less active as they get bigger.
Mainly because they have to carry the extra body weight, when they swim.

But I also noticed that mine became less active when his tank was too small.
When I upgraded the tank - there was more space and room to swim. So he explored the tank more.
Your 125 gallon will soon be too small. If possible, try upgrading the tank.

Also, check that the other fish do not stress, bother him, or steal his food.

You're sure that he would need a tank larger than 125 gallons? I bought this tank for him, as everything I've ever read said a 100 gallon would be large enough, so to make sure I got the 125.

Thanks for the feeding advice, it's good to know I'm not starving him or something. :)

How long did it take for your bgk to get that big? Mine is prob like 2-3 inches. I just want to know so I know how long I have till I need a bigger tank (currently have 55)

Really? I've had mine for less than a year, and he grew from pet store size (2-3inches) to his almost 9inch self in less than a year. I've had him for a little more than 10 months now. Though I imagine he has slowed his growth down some. If I were you, I would start saving up for a new take. :p

Back
Top Bottom