Acidic vs Alkaline whats the benefits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bullyboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all...

Id like to start a discussion here on what folks think about the two as they relate to freshwater cool/tropical aquarium keeping.

Ive personally got 2 tanks one running a 7.5 and the other 6.4 and ive noticed some big differences in what i can keep in each.
Things like plants for instance that should work out in one... dont, but they do in the other which is very confusing and frustrating at times.

So id like to find out if theres a preference toward either in the hobby as a whole.

Thanks

Depends what fish you want. I'd lean towards slightly acidic because that's what rainwater is, so I would think that's what most fish would be able to live in

bul...

As for my tanks, the plants prefer more acidic water and the fish more alkaline water. I don't test the water in my tanks, I haven't for many years. I just remove and replace most of it every few days and the water chemistry stays level.

B

bul...

As for my tanks, the plants prefer more acidic water and the fish more alkaline water. I don't test the water in my tanks, I haven't for many years. I just remove and replace most of it every few days and the water chemistry stays level.

B
Thats an interesting point about plants vs fish and one im stuggling with as well.

What do folks think about 7.0 water buffer products?
Does the tank eventually stay at 7.0 by it self or is using the chemical a long term commitment?

We live in the country, so have well water, which comes from the tank at a PH of 8.4 and stays at pretty much the same PH in my tanks. I don't try to alter it in my tanks, but we do use a PH reducer in the swimming pool. The PH reducer has to be added every few days, or the pool water gradually creeps back up to 8.4. I'm not sure of the chemical composition of swimming pool vs aquarium PH buffers, but I'm sure the concept is the same.
Instead of an artificial buffer, you might try something more natural. Peat or oak bark is supposed to lower PH; there are several types of substrate and decor used to raise PH.

Thats an interesting point about plants vs fish and one im stuggling with as well.

What do folks think about 7.0 water buffer products?
Does the tank eventually stay at 7.0 by it self or is using the chemical a long term commitment?

Depends what sort of buffer it is as well. If it is a phosphate based buffer it may end up masking changes in ph from increases / decreases in other elements. A less powerful buffer is ongoing testing.

http://www.seachem.com/alkaline-buffer.php

bully...

I'd say avoid putting any chemicals into the tank water. You don't know how the plants and fish will react. The best thing to do is simply remove and replace most of the tank water every few days. This by itself will fix any aquarium problem better than chemicals and an aggressive water change routine will guarantee a stable water chemistry. This is the most important thing for a healthy tank.

B

Back
Top Bottom