Active carbon vs polyfill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopefulHobbiest

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have heard that polyfill is much better than active carbon, can anyone verify this?

Also,

1. Does the active carbon hold any BB?

2. Is there a good, better and best breakdown as far as brand goes?

3. If I planned to switch out my active carbon for polyfill would I have to empty the carbon 100% or is it ok if I cant get it all out?

This few are slightly off topic...

1. I have a 55G with a topfin 60 filter, can I add a second topfin 60 or 75 to the other side of my tank?

2. Would the current be way to strong for my fish?

Lol sorry bout all the questions... Been thinkin about this all day a figured I'd throw it out and see what kinda returns I get from AA :)

I wouldn't say poly fill is better than carbon, but it really just depends on what your tank needs. Alot of people on here,myself included..do not use carbon on a regular basis. If you do regular water changes you shouldn't need it. It is helpful when taking meds out of the water.

Polyfil just grabs the finer particles in the water, and helps give it the polished look. I use Fairfield brand Poly-Fil from Walmart..its around $4 for a big roll. When selecting a poly fil make sure it is 100% polyester and contains no flame retardant chemicals. Fairfield brand products say on their website that they don't use any chemicals in making their products

yes you can always add extra filtration for your fish, they will never complain that their water is too clean

well thats good, is it possible to just stick polyfil into the filter behind the pouches/pads that are already in there? the pouches i have already contain the carbon but they come apart very easily without needing to be cut just incase someone wanted to add more or remove carbon.

i'm thinking i may just keep the carbon in the pouch and just add polyfill inside the filter between the main intake section and the pads this way there's no chance the flow will pull it into the tank.

any suggestions on this?

but isn't the aqua clear 50 rated for a 50G tank? i have a 55G...

i know i already have a topfin 60 for my tank and gettin a second filter thats not as strong shouldn't be a big deal but i'm still slightly skeptical lol

Yes the aquaclear 50 is rated for a 50 gallon tank. You said u wanted to add an extra filter to run with your topfin 60. I like the aquaclear's better as well. It allows you to use any type of media that you want. you can leave the carbon in your filter and add filter floss if you want. When u add carbon it only lasts about 2 weeks. If you decide to take out the carbon and just use the poly fil, just keep an eye on your water parameters

instead of using the carbon in my aquaclear's..I just add an extra sponge for that filter.

Yea I took your advice, except I made a slight change lol, I picked up the aquaclear 70... Looks pretty easy to maintain... So now i have the topfin 60 & the aquaclear 70... Think it should work very well :)

good choice, I have an aquaclear 70 myself. It is really easy to maintain and clean. keep the setting on slow, filters the water better than the higher setting. good luck with your new filter, you should have plenty of filtration now

Back
Top Bottom