Adjustment Period?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

statisticsnerd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just added 6 neons, 2 corys, and 2 guppies to my 20-gallon tank yesterday afternoon to replace the rosy reds that were being used to cycle it. So far the neons won't school, the guppies hardly move and stay right at the water surface, and the cory cats won't eat (at least I haven't seen it yet). What's troubling me is that the fish I had in there before did just fine. They were always hungry and never ran out of energy. The pH is at a steady 6.8,there is no measurable ammonia or nitrite, and nitrate is at 10 ppm. The water parameters have not changed since I added the fish and the temperature has not drastically changed either. Are they in shock or something?

Be patient. It may take a while for your fish to become used to the new environment. You may also want to add a couple more neon tetras and two or three more corys because they are more comfortable in larger groups.

What kind of tank decorations do you have? Fish prefer to have some cover available in case of a perceived danger. Granted that it is unlikely you will have any predators appear in your tank, adding some plants/rocks/caves may make your fish act more relaxed.

Back
Top Bottom