Advice on bigger tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all! I found a 90 gal. with nice wood stand on CL for $100. It's only been used for reptiles. So it's not all crusty or anything. Is this a good deal?

Also, I'm still using buckets for my water changes due to my well situation. Would you expect that I would have to change out more than 30 gallons/week if I keep it slightly under stocked? I don't want to get in over my head.

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

I think that is a great deal! I would go for it. I don't think you would need to change out more than 30g a week, I think that would be fine. :)

Is it a reptile tank? I dont have extensive experience with them, but i believe they may not be designed to withstand being completely full of water. You may want to check into this first before considering it!

Is it a reptile tank? I dont have extensive experience with them, but i believe they may not be designed to withstand being completely full of water. You may want to check into this first before considering it!

+1 That was going to be my question as well. Make sure it's an actual aquarium and not a reptile tank. :)

jlk said:

No, it's a fish tank that was used for reptiles. Here's a pic.

image-2524420616.jpg

Nice tank! I'd say that's a great deal for a tank and stand as long as they are in good condition.

For water changes can you get an Aqueon or Python changer? It would eliminate the need for buckets and make water changes very easy.

I've been resisting using my well water from the tap because it's softened. I keep getting conflicting advice on that issue. :-/ But I may have to give it a try. I thought the trace of sodium in the water would be bad for the fish.

BTW, anyone in the Indianapolis area, this same person has 4 large tanks for sale at similar prices. I think one is a 125gal.

Also, is there any additional equipment needed in a larger tank besides the usual filter, heater, light, and airstone? What are power heads for? Any recommendations for which filter would be best?
Thanks!

Hholly said:
I've been resisting using my well water from the tap because it's softened. I keep getting conflicting advice on that issue.

Add a tap inline before the softener if you don't have one already.
Check PH right out of the ground and then again after 24 hours of bubbling and exposure to some sunlight. Mine rises from below 6.0 to about 6.8 after 24 hours of out gassing.
If it's high in iron or sulfur you should not use it.

blert said:
Add a tap inline before the softener if you don't have one already.
Check PH right out of the ground and then again after 24 hours of bubbling and exposure to some sunlight. Mine rises from below 6.0 to about 6.8 after 24 hours of out gassing.
If it's high in iron or sulfur you should not use it.

I do use the water before the softener, hence the buckets. Don't think I could use a python as the temp would be too cold. Yes, the pH rises from 7.8 to 8.3. I let buckets sit for days if possible.

Any other opinions on things to watch out for regarding a big tank?
Thanks all!

I'd recommend getting a trash can on wheels, like a Brute 30-40 gallon trash can and use that to age your water. You could get a cheap pump that would make your water changes quick and easy. Just fill up the can from your well before the softener and then use a pump to get it in the tank.

meegosh said:
I'd recommend getting a trash can on wheels, like a Brute 30-40 gallon trash can and use that to age your water. You could get a cheap pump that would make your water changes quick and easy. Just fill up the can from your well before the softener and then use a pump to get it in the tank.

I'll look into that, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom