Advice on Reviving Moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Long story short... a friend ordered some Christmas moss off of Amazon it was not what they expected. Now I’m trying to revive it a little. It came in rather scraggly and brown (not to mention it smelled horrendous). I’m not exactly a plant whisperer, so I figured I’d consult those of you here who are.
I have it in a bucket for now, since it still smells awfully of what I can only assume is dead plant matter, but also some sort of chemical/plastic stench (perhaps since it was sent pressed flat inside plastic sheets?).
I’ve been moving the LEDs from my large tank over it for about an hour or so each night. I have some Excel I can dose it with too, but I haven’t used it much and I’m not entirely sure how. Is there anything else I should be doing?
I’ve attached some photos. Two of the “sheets” of moss are browner and look worse, though the third seems to have some healthier moss on one side.

Attachments

• 12A1CAD5-3474-40E4-9EA9-CACF0F87E2C8.jpg
    12A1CAD5-3474-40E4-9EA9-CACF0F87E2C8.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 381EAA5C-B26D-4907-AAFD-4CD70A89CD06.jpg
    381EAA5C-B26D-4907-AAFD-4CD70A89CD06.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 42
Sounds like too much ammonia. Maybe changing the water in the bucket everyday might help?

Use some old tank water, place into a clear container with the more healthy looking moss, place into direct sunlight.

I’ve been changing the water in the bucket daily, and I’ll work on finding it some sunlight. It’s been very overcast lately, but it should clear up soon. Thank you for the advice!

I’ve been changing the water in the bucket daily, and I’ll work on finding it some sunlight. It’s been very overcast lately, but it should clear up soon. Thank you for the advice!

Don't bother changing the water. You'll want some "crud" in it and NO chlorine in the water. Any light is fine for moss, overcast or not.

remove all dead plant matter, anything green should come back.

Yeah, I’ve been dechlorinating the water as always, but I’ll change it less often. I’m thinkimg I’ll move the greener moss into a glass jar to put in the windowsill in the sunlight (which is finally back after all that rain.)

Back
Top Bottom