Top Fin Algae Remover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

addisonnolann

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All,

Dealing with some serious algae issues and looking for advice. I’ll make a longer post looking for more specific info when I have time, but for now I’d love some advice on top fin algae remover.

After dosing my tank I’ve heard some questionable things about this product killing fish. I’m looking to see how long I should leave the product in the tank before doing a water change. I’d like it to kill the algae but do not want to wait so long that it harms my fish.

I could find any info regarding this online, so I’d love any advice on this topic.

Thank you!

The directions say to dose the tank, and redose every 3 days until the algae is under control. Its not going to kill off algae quickly and then you can remove it with a water change. If it works at all it will need to be regularly dosed into the tank for weeks.

I dont have experience with that specific product, but i have used similar algae control products and the effects where minimal and it took a month or more of dosing to get any noticable algae reduction.

Reading reviews the positive reviews seem to come from people using it to control bacterial blooms not algae. Bacterial blooms generally clear up on their own given a little patience, so its likely the product actually did nothing beneficial in those cases.

I have never used the product but algae can normally be controlled by reducing the light or nutrients in the water, and or adding more live aquatic plants.

If you post some pictures of the algae and the entire tank, we might be able to offer more info on treating it. You can also tell us about the lighting on the tank and how long it's on for each day, as well as any plant fertiliser you add to the tank. In addition to this, tell us how often you do water changes and gravel clean the substrate, as well as cleaning the filter.

I have never used the product but algae can normally be controlled by reducing the light or nutrients in the water, and or adding more live aquatic plants.

If you post some pictures of the algae and the entire tank, we might be able to offer more info on treating it. You can also tell us about the lighting on the tank and how long it's on for each day, as well as any plant fertiliser you add to the tank. In addition to this, tell us how often you do water changes and gravel clean the substrate, as well as cleaning the filter.

IMG_4260.jpg

Attached is a photo of the algae. I just did a 50% water change and removed the java as it seemed like it was melting and my desire to keep plants isn’t very high.

The lighting on the tank is whatever came with the aqueon 29 gallon kit, and I leave it on about 7 ish hours a day. By reducing nutrients, do you mean add less fish food? I’m not currently adding anything for the plants (I.e. fertilizer), so I’m assuming it must be the food. I didn’t think I was over feeding, but I can certainly cut back. I wouldn’t be surprised if other members of my household are feeding them.

I do ~25% water change weekly, and I removed the filter cartridge and swish it around the tank water whenever I do this. I use a siphon, so I spot vac each time as well. The tank has only been stocked with fish for about a month so I have yet to change the filter cartridge.

Brown filamentous algae. It loves light and nutrients. Nutrients normally being plant fertiliser but also fish food and waste. In this case, it's probably from light. You should be able to physically remove it by hand or a fork.

A number of plants in the tank look like garden plants. They might be artificial but if they are real, they should probably come out.

Plant on far right, dark green with pale lines in it. This looks like a garden plant and should be removed if it's real.

Plant on far left with big oval shaped leaves looks like a Syngonium. If it's a lotus then it's fine but if it's a garden plant, take it out.

How many of the plants are real?
If you only have a few real plants, adding more should help reduce the algae issue. Floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictrioides/ cornuta) can use lots of nutrients and reduce light, thus helping reduce algae problems. And if you get too much, you can plant it in the substrate where it grows into a lovely light green shrub.

Brown filamentous algae. It loves light and nutrients. Nutrients normally being plant fertiliser but also fish food and waste. In this case, it's probably from light. You should be able to physically remove it by hand or a fork.

A number of plants in the tank look like garden plants. They might be artificial but if they are real, they should probably come out.

Plant on far right, dark green with pale lines in it. This looks like a garden plant and should be removed if it's real.

Plant on far left with big oval shaped leaves looks like a Syngonium. If it's a lotus then it's fine but if it's a garden plant, take it out.

How many of the plants are real?
If you only have a few real plants, adding more should help reduce the algae issue. Floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictrioides/ cornuta) can use lots of nutrients and reduce light, thus helping reduce algae problems. And if you get too much, you can plant it in the substrate where it grows into a lovely light green shrub.

I’ve mostly been using my siphon to get it out, as my tongs have not been as successful. I can try using a fork though, although the siphon has been working when it gets crazy. I’ve been keeping the lights off more the past few days and fortunately, that seems to be working.

Thank you for the tips, but fortunately those plants are all fake. I removed the Java so the only living plant in the tank is the little bridge on the bottom, next to the pineapple. Hopefully this one is fine, as the cories love it. I’ve cut down on the amount of food I’ve been giving so hopefully that is helping as well.

If the issue persists I will look into those floating plants, thank you so much for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom