African Butterfly Fish Pair?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Japola44

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a male African butterfly fish in my 55gal. I'm curious to know if getting a female will cause any stress? I have wanted to get a female for a long time, but I don't know how agressive the male would be to the female. Has anyone here kept a pair? I don't plan to try and breed them or anything.

African butterfly fish are schoolers, the more the merrier. I had a pair years ago, that I fed plenty of live food. They will eat insects, and I fed them whatever I found handy (flies, moths, etc.) as well as wax worms from the lfs. There was never any aggression between them. The horrible thing was, I added a banded leporinus to the tank. The encyclopedia I had listed it as a vegetarian. The "vegetarian" ate the female butterfly fish alive, a little bite at a time. I came home one day to find the female with a chunk of her abdomen missing, with a load of eggs inside. My first thought was that something had taken a huge bite out of her, so I removed the bicher from the tank, and took it back to the lfs. When I got back, the damage was even worse, so I watched. The leporinus would swim up and nibble another bit off, while the butterfly seemed oblivious to what was happening. She didn't even try to move away. The leporinus also turned out to be a rather aggressive fish, not really suitable for a peaceful community.

Back
Top Bottom