African Dwarf Frogs tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kherm89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!

I've been reading A LOT about what kinds of fish to get for my aquarium because I want to get three African Dwarf Frogs.

First, I need an algae eater of some kind. I've been going back and forth between ghost shrimp and siamese algae eaters. I've seen things about the ghost shrimp attacking the frogs and the SAE getting stuck on the frogs, so what is better, or something else?

Second, I want a smallish schooling fish and one or two larger fish. Betta maybe (female), dwarf gourami, and glass catfish, or zebra danios. Something like that. Not too fond of Neon tetras. Preferably a combo that has fish at the middle and top of the tank since the frogs will be primarily at the bottom. I also want to make sure I don't overstock so I've been using the site aqadvisor for the combo's I have been thinking of.

I also read ADF's don't like the current from the filter so I will have to turn that down and take that into account as well.

Does anyone have experience stocking a tank with ADF's and any recommendations for fish that would be best?

I have a lightly planted (will be adding more in the future) 29 gallon. Just finished cycling yesterday (Day 16).

Thanks!

Kaitlyn

I don't know what fish would do well with ADF but only one thing is certain: you don't NEED an algae eater. Most sold at the fish store get huge. Algae can be controlled by other means, normally if you're feeding too much or have too much light/Co2 algae happens.

I don't know what fish would do well with ADF but only one thing is certain: you don't NEED an algae eater. Most sold at the fish store get huge. Algae can be controlled by other means, normally if you're feeding too much or have too much light/Co2 algae happens.

Oh ok. Didn't know that. I'm just really paranoid of getting some so I thought just to be safe. I have to add CO2 for the plants and the lights are on a 12 hour cycle (LED), so that might have it more likely to get algae?

12 hours is pretty long IMO. Co2 is by no means necessary, depends on what plants you have. I would cut that photoperiod down to at least 8 hours.

12 hours is pretty long IMO. Co2 is by no means necessary, depends on what plants you have. I would cut that photoperiod down to at least 8 hours.

I have anubius, wisteria, java fern, cypts, and hornwort. I just finished cycling so I had it for 12 hours and I wasn't sure about changing it.. I will now. CO2 just for the plants during the cycling but I'll cut it down once I get some fish. Thanks :)

ADFs should be kept on their own, they have poor eyesight which makes it hard for them to compete for food. They also don't do well in taller tanks.

I read about the poor eyesight, so I was going to feed them individually or have an area (undecided). I heard you can feed them by hand...?

The tank is 18 inches high but I'll only be filling it to 16 for them. I read that is the max. I'll have some things in there that meet halfway for them to rest on if they want.

I'm thinking cut your CO2 to 8 hours and maybe add some Least Killies. The Dwarf Frogs really need live food, fresh hatch baby brine shrimp, and maybe some 300 mc golden pearls. Get some ramshorn snals and problem solved.

ADFs should be kept on their own, they have poor eyesight which makes it hard for them to compete for food. They also don't do well in taller tanks.

I read about the poor eyesight, so I was going to feed them individually or have an area (undecided). I heard you can feed them by hand...?

The tank is 18 inches high but I'll only be filling it to 16 for them. I read that is the max. I'll have some things in there that meet halfway for them to rest on if they want.

Mine died when I had them in a community tank, and the tank was 16 inches tall, and they appeared to struggle at times to get air. A species only tank would suit them best. Maybe a small 5 gallon tank would be good for them, or even a nano tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello!

I've been reading A LOT about what kinds of fish to get for my aquarium because I want to get three African Dwarf Frogs.

First, I need an algae eater of some kind. I've been going back and forth between ghost shrimp and siamese algae eaters. I've seen things about the ghost shrimp attacking the frogs and the SAE getting stuck on the frogs, so what is better, or something else?

Second, I want a smallish schooling fish and one or two larger fish. Betta maybe (female), dwarf gourami, and glass catfish, or zebra danios. Something like that. Not too fond of Neon tetras. Preferably a combo that has fish at the middle and top of the tank since the frogs will be primarily at the bottom. I also want to make sure I don't overstock so I've been using the site aqadvisor for the combo's I have been thinking of.

I also read ADF's don't like the current from the filter so I will have to turn that down and take that into account as well.

Does anyone have experience stocking a tank with ADF's and any recommendations for fish that would be best?

I have a lightly planted (will be adding more in the future) 29 gallon. Just finished cycling yesterday (Day 16).

Thanks!

Kaitlyn

My ghost shrimp killed my African dwarf frogs. And ate a huge amount of my Bettas tail fins! The Betta died the same day. Ghost shrimp are evil. I still have 2. And am worried what I can put with them. Now I have 1 adf, 4danios and 2 shrimp in a 10g. I want to buy more danios because they are picking on the smallest of the4.

Mine died when I had them in a community tank, and the tank was 16 inches tall, and they appeared to struggle at times to get air. A species only tank would suit them best. Maybe a small 5 gallon tank would be good for them, or even a nano tank.

This was my experience too having them in a community tank. 16 inches is way too tall. I had to feed mine separately every day with a syringe, and get the food to them almost in their face. But they didn't last but about 3 months.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom