Aggressive female platys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jason19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

Finally got my tank started. I got 2 dwarf gouramis and 3 platys. All fish seem to be acclimatising to the tank pretty well.

The issue I have is with the platys. I definitely have 2 big girls in there and I believe a small male (hes probably about half the size of the females). Both females seem to constantly chase him. I don't know if its because hes smaller or if hes trying to mate with them. They are all fine at feeding time etc and eat in harmony its just when they are going about their daily business. One of the larger females in particular seems to go out of her way to chase him.

Is this common behaviour for platys. I just feel really sorry for him as seems the 2 females (1 in particular) have formed a disliking to him. If its worth anything, all 3 of them were tank mates at the aquatics store I purchased them at so its not to say they are all unfamiliar with each other.

The 2 DG's seem to be doing excellent with no issues between them nor with the platys.

I have a 10G tank FYI

Thanks for any tips/recommendations.

It won't be something new that a female has killed a male.
Keep an eye on them and if it gets out of control remove him.

You can try to remove her, move her to another tank and then put her back.
Now she is no longer in her comfort zone so this might fix it.
I've tried it with guppies with no succes...

Got me a big female guppy which is still dropping fry every 4/5 weeks.
She is the boss of the 30g and she wil let you know to.
I got 12 adult females in there, I tried putting in a few more newborn.
(grown out, 3 months)
Next day the big girls wer missing a back fin, damaged fins and whatnot.
So directly moved them to another tank wer they never had any problems
between each other.
Fin grew completely back within 3 days...

So from now I wil think twice about putting more in there...
And this is only about females only, a mix makes things even worse.
He is trying to mate while they are trying to get him off them.

Your tank is overstocked. Dwarf gourami need 15 gallons for 1.

Hi Sara,

I got them on the advice of the aquatic shop owner. However, they are perfectly fine and not the issue.

The issue I am having is with the platys with 1 being picked on. The DG are keeping excellent and no issues with these as they are showing their normal behaviour having researched them beforehand.

If you do the 1 gallon a inch thing it is.
They get about 3.5 inches so that is 7 inches already for the two.
Then adding then rest (6) to it and you end up with 13. (when they al at max size)

It is not the best, but if you keep up with water changes it won't be a problem.
13 inch on 10 gallon is much better than the 30 inch on 10 gallon which you see way to often.

If you do the 1 gallon a inch thing it is.
They get about 3.5 inches so that is 7 inches already for the two.
Then adding then rest (6) to it and you end up with 13. (when they al at max size)

It is not the best, but if you keep up with water changes it won't be a problem.
13 inch on 10 gallon is much better than the 30 inch on 10 gallon which you see way to often.

Thanks for the reassurance. I do plan to do regular water changes/maintenance.

The whole overstocking theory is an interesting one. Some people are very much of the "1 inch = 1 gallon" rule whereas other people suggest add as many as you like providing you are prepared to undertake the required maintenance with the extra biomass etc. Suppose theres only 1 way of finding out and, if I feel its overstocked, it gives me a reason to purchase another tank!!

It is also that the fish needs room to swim, in other cases have the flow to do so.
While the 1 inch a gallon is as old as people can remember, it is mainly for stores.
It does give you a good indicator if you overstocked or not...

Like putting 2 goldfish in a 5 gallon, if not worse, do 4.
I wish it was as crazy as it sounds but people really do it.
I'm now already looking for a 60/90 gallon... :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom