Aggressive German Blue Ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a GBR a few weeks ago. He started out shy and timid, but now he's very nippy and aggressive. He will chase my platies and neon tetras, he even bit the tail off of my smallest neon. From what I've read, this is uncharacteristic. Would getting a female ram make this better or worse? Is there anything I can do?

Tropical said:
I got a GBR a few weeks ago. He started out shy and timid, but now he's very nippy and aggressive. He will chase my platies and neon tetras, he even bit the tail off of my smallest neon. From what I've read, this is uncharacteristic. Would getting a female ram make this better or worse? Is there anything I can do?

Getting a female ram might make this better. I've never heard of an aggressive ram. I would get the female and see what happens.

The female might calm him down or he might kill her so be prepared. Do you have lots of places for him to hide?

Getting a female ram might make this better. I've never heard of an aggressive ram. I would get the female and see what happens.

I never heard of one either, until he started nipping:ermm:

I do have a few caves and some plants he can hide in, but I'm planning on getting more this week.

I would take him back to the store. You got yourself a stinker.

DO NOT add a female. This will only cause him to display his dominance even more and escalate his harassment of your other fish, kill the female, and flash throughout the tank.

How big of a tank are we talking about here? Cichlids, in general, are territorial. If he doesn't have enough room to claim his own, he is going to act that way. Whether a female is present or not.

It's a 20 g long. I was told it would be fine for a couple of rams.

Ok, yeah, that should be fine. If it were a 10g, then what I said would definitely be the case. If you've got lots of cover, lots of hiding places... sounds like he's just got an aggressive personality, more so than most.

Back
Top Bottom