Aggressive Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rose22

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a pretty aggressive male Platy in my 10 gallon tank. I currently have a male/female pair of blue plays and a male/female pair of coral highfin platys in this tank along with other fish. My blue male beats up my other male platy and my angelfish. He is much bigger than the highfin male, and is pretty comparable in size with my angels. He isn't aggressive to either of the female platys.

I am in the process on cycling a 29 gallon tank, and plan to move most of my fish over to there.

I'm thinking of only moving 1 pair of platys over and keeping the other pair in the smaller tank to split up the males. I do want 4 platys in the big tank to add some color, so regardless of which pair I move over, I want to add 2 females to the group making a 1:3 ratio, which I've read tends to be more successful. Would it be better to move the blue pair over to the big tank and add 2 new females, or should I leave the aggressive pair in the small tank? I do plan to add a small school of tetras (maybe black/red phantoms?) to the small tank once I get all the other fish moved to the big tank.

Any help/ideas would be great. Thanks.

I have a pretty aggressive male Platy in my 10 gallon tank. I currently have a male/female pair of blue plays and a male/female pair of coral highfin platys in this tank along with other fish. My blue male beats up my other male platy and my angelfish. He is much bigger than the highfin male, and is pretty comparable in size with my angels. He isn't aggressive to either of the female platys.

I am in the process on cycling a 29 gallon tank, and plan to move most of my fish over to there.

I'm thinking of only moving 1 pair of platys over and keeping the other pair in the smaller tank to split up the males. I do want 4 platys in the big tank to add some color, so regardless of which pair I move over, I want to add 2 females to the group making a 1:3 ratio, which I've read tends to be more successful. Would it be better to move the blue pair over to the big tank and add 2 new females, or should I leave the aggressive pair in the small tank? I do plan to add a small school of tetras (maybe black/red phantoms?) to the small tank once I get all the other fish moved to the big tank.

Any help/ideas would be great. Thanks.
Yeah i would move the aggressive male and the female over to the 29g. What is the total stock in the 10g at the moment??

4 Platy, 2 juvenile angels, 1 blue ram, 1 cory cat. It is super SUPER overstocked if you look at adult sizes, but if you go by 1" of fish to 1 gallon of water, it isn't THAT overstocked. However once the angels grow, I know there is just no way to keep them in the tank.

My biggest fish in the tank right now is this blue platy, and he is about 1.25" The Angels bodies are about the size of a quarter. Their fins are really long, but the fish itself isnt that big. The rest of my fish are an inch or smaller.

4 Platy, 2 juvenile angels, 1 blue ram, 1 cory cat. It is super SUPER overstocked if you look at adult sizes, but if you go by 1" of fish to 1 gallon of water, it isn't THAT overstocked. However once the angels grow, I know there is just no way to keep them in the tank.

My biggest fish in the tank right now is this blue platy, and he is about 1.25" The Angels bodies are about the size of a quarter. Their fins are really long, but the fish itself isnt that big. The rest of my fish are an inch or smaller.
Yeah moving them over will sort out the problem. He's just being territorial. It should stop in the 29g, especially when he has more females to impress!!!.

Back
Top Bottom