agressive elephant nose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sebastienb

Aquarium Advice Regular
My elephant nose used to be shy when i just got him, it took over a month for him to come out during the day. I was happy to see him getting use to the tank but now he seems to bully everyone. He is always chasing my angelfish and sometimes even the clown loaches. I also have tiger barbs in the tank and he just ignores them.

I'm not sure its a territory thing unless he thinks the whole tank is his. Any recommendations ? I tried adding more hiding places for him but he stills prefers to stay out most of the day and chase the others when they come near him or even if they are in the other side of the tank. Is he just being playful ?

oh and he ginores the pleco too.

Tank: 55 gallon, 4 2 inch cloan loaches, 1 1.5 inch clown loach, 1 angelfish, 7 tigerbarbs, one pleco.

My elephant nose used to be shy when i just got him, it took over a month for him to come out during the day. I was happy to see him getting use to the tank but now he seems to bully everyone. He is always chasing my angelfish and sometimes even the clown loaches. I also have tiger barbs in the tank and he just ignores them.

I'm not sure its a territory thing unless he thinks the whole tank is his. Any recommendations ? I tried adding more hiding places for him but he stills prefers to stay out most of the day and chase the others when they come near him or even if they are in the other side of the tank. Is he just being playful ?

oh and he ginores the pleco too.

Tank: 55 gallon, 4 2 inch cloan loaches, 1 1.5 inch clown loach, 1 angelfish, 7 tigerbarbs, one pleco.

Hi, I've had my elephant for 19 months now and he too started out pretty peaceful. When he started to mature he would chase and nip my other fish to the point i re homed them all except him. He shares his tank with just kuhli loach which he seems to just tolerate there might be a time i have to move them as he's a grump Lol in my experience they should be kept on their own, but every fish is different.

:-/ mine doesn't try to nip them he just bumps into them. Might have to give him away then... Guess i'll try adding a few more hiding places so they can try to stay out of each others way.

:-/ mine doesn't try to nip them he just bumps into them. Might have to give him away then... Guess i'll try adding a few more hiding places so they can try to stay out of each others way.

I hope it works for you:) mine got to the point he attacked all the fish. He even shared his tank with a bristle for 18 months then one day he turned on her. I made the decision to keep him as he is my fav. Mine hates company. Good luck with him :) as they're great fish!

Back
Top Bottom