ahh! uneven floor = uneven tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulcm10

Aquarium Advice Freak
UNEVEN FLOOR! means UNEVEN EVERYTHINGGG!
ok so my floor is uneven...

by this much!!!! what do i do?!
any advice?

Attachments

• IMAG0101.jpg
    IMAG0101.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 599
How far is it off? About 1/8" or so? Since its a composite stand, it's obviously not a big tank... I've had tanks off level worse than that.

How far is it off? About 1/8" or so? Since its a composite stand, it's obviously not a big tank... I've had tanks off level worse than that.

its a 20g high. and you have had tanks off level worse than this? how big? and was it on a composite stand?

Even though the floor is uneven, by the time you work your way up from the floor, through the stand, to the tippy top of the tank, all of that added together is even. Think about it.

I agree that I've got tanks much worse than that. Even my 75 gallon is at least 1/2 inch difference from one side to the other and I don't sweat it.

If you are worried about it now, you'll never be comfortable with it. So fix now, before the tank gets populated.

You can get wood shims, like 6 inches wide from any home supply store (lowes, home Depot, etc) usually in the lumber section (not talking about the smaller 1" wide ones, although depending on how your stand supports your tank, the 1" wide ones maybe all you need) to slide under your tank to make it level. They cut easily with a utility knife (score it and snap). They're a couple dollars a pack, and teh pack will be WAY more than you'll ever need.

Put the tank on the tank on the stand, put the level diagonal across one corner, and shim the bottom of the tank till it's level.

I don't know what you tank/stand look like so you might have to get creative with it, but it's not that difficult.

I had to do the same thing with my home built stand for my 45 gallon tank, in an 80 year old house. I probably could have left it alone without any problems, but I knew it wasn't level and you could see it wasn't level at the water line and it bugged me, so I fixed it. Nobody else probably even noticed it.

Both of my tankd are about a half an inch slant from one end to the other. I used to worry about it but not so much anymore

As previously posted if it bugs you fix it now before you set the tank up. Shims are the answer to leveling. Be sure to fill all open spaces under your stand. It need to be completely supported along the bottom. Be sure to check level from front to back also.

If you are worried about it now, you'll never be comfortable with it. So fix now, before the tank gets populated.

You can get wood shims, like 6 inches wide from any home supply store (lowes, home Depot, etc) usually in the lumber section (not talking about the smaller 1" wide ones, although depending on how your stand supports your tank, the 1" wide ones maybe all you need) to slide under your tank to make it level. They cut easily with a utility knife (score it and snap). They're a couple dollars a pack, and teh pack will be WAY more than you'll ever need.

Put the tank on the tank on the stand, put the level diagonal across one corner, and shim the bottom of the tank till it's level.

I don't know what you tank/stand look like so you might have to get creative with it, but it's not that difficult.

I had to do the same thing with my home built stand for my 45 gallon tank, in an 80 year old house. I probably could have left it alone without any problems, but I knew it wasn't level and you could see it wasn't level at the water line and it bugged me, so I fixed it. Nobody else probably even noticed it.

well my tank has a rim so i can't really tell the different if its filled up all the way. but i have a composite stand. if it was a solid wood stand i wouldn't worry about it. so you suggest i get the 6inch wide?

Im guessing composite bc i bought it at petco. And its a 10 gallon

I have composite too. and they are wayyy weaker than solid wood. thats why I'm worried about it.
i don't want my fish tank to come crashing down one day haha.

Yeah better safe than sorry. I guess uneven weight distrution could weaken it over time and cause it to twist/sag. Im moving mine into another room and hopefully the floors level in there

Yeah better safe than sorry. I guess uneven weight distrution could weaken it over time and cause it to twist/sag. Im moving mine into another room and hopefully the floors level in there

yah its just dumb for petco or petsmart to sell composite wood fish stands..
when composite retains water and the weakest out of all different types of wood.

and good luck with your tank as well. just remember not to move it with water in your tank. =p

Yeah i dont want some cheap piece of crap. I want a nice solid piece of furniture. Anyways thanks

oh and be sure to post pics of your wedge....thing. and wrote about the process so we can know

Back
Top Bottom