Algae Eater for a Goldfish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hovoc

Aquarium Advice Activist
My mom has a 30 gal tank with some goldfish in it. Shes also got a bit of algae going on. What can she put in there to eat the algae up.

There is really nothing that is reccomended for a goldfish tank, however I have heard of putting plecos in with goldfish. Your best bet is to just get an algae scrubber.

this is true since goldfish require a very cold tank tempature of 68 degrees, I don't think a pleco would survive for very long in that kind of conditions, there may be some snails that can stand that cold of water but I don't know of any

If you must have a pleco, only have rubberlip or bristlenoses. These can live in the cooler water of a goldies' tank. Plus, they won't grow too big. Avoid the common pleco at all cost.

You also need to find adults (or at least big juviniles) for the tank. Golds will try to eat small plecos & get it stuck in their throats .... with bad outcome for both fish.

You can try snails. I have a couple apple snails in the tank & they are fine with the golds. Nerite snails are said to be even better at eating algae.

You also need to worry about the bio-load of the tank. Both apple snails & plecos are rather big waste producers. If you already have 3 or 4 golds in that 30 gal, you might not have room for an algae eater.

3-4 golds is too much for that tank. 2 is a better number. I'd only recommend a snail as there are very few pleco/goldfish success stories.

there are horror stories about plecos sucking off a large goldfishs eye

if you had a tank like me, large 11yr old goldfish get tanks incredibly dirty, not even a penguin 330 and a penguin 170 could handle my two goldfish for more than a few days. the tank would get dirty, and the pleco would disapear, actually vanish

Back
Top Bottom