algae eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the thumb rule is one AE per 10 gallons...
i guess this would vary if they are very aggressive and territorial when adults (CAE, Flying fox)

It really depends on the algae eater. I have 4 "dwarf" plecos in a 50 gal tank and they do a great job. If you are going for otos, 7-8 sounds good.

Thanks for the advice really like ottos. Are there any less than 4" plecos that don't eat plants and have a little color or other interesting looks?

I've been doing more research on several types of corys, catfish and loaches. I need some help. I want to stick with smaller fish so I can keep them happy. I sure don't want to overstock my 55 gallon tank. I'm looking at 12-14 inches of fish. My problem is it seems like every site has a different adult length than the other one.
Which mature length is the most accurate?

Kuhli or striped loach 3-6"
cories skunk 2-5"
bearded 3.5-6"
peppered 3-5"
black fin 2.5-4"
leopard 2.75- 4.5"
bronze 3-4.5"
pygmy 1-2"

bristle nose catfish 4-6"

ottos 1-1.5"
:? :roll:

I would be very surprised to see any cory more than 3-4", and that is just a few varieties. Your average peppered, for instance, will max out at about 2-2 1/2." Pygmys do really stay small. BN are very cool looking, especially the males with their wild tentacles on their noses, and 6" would be a really hefty one, most are around 4 1/2." I have 3 in my 55, but only one male.

Thank you for the information. It was getting real confusing. I want lots of fish but no stress due to overstocking

A pleco that fits your description would be the clown pleco! I love mine! They should stay around 4-5" and I don't think they eat plants. Put a piece of driftwood in there for him though, he'll eat that!

Paul

Back
Top Bottom