Algae War?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skunky

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 5g desktop has been getting brown algae for the past 2 weeks. I hate it. I have high nitrates in my tap (40ppm) and read that high nitrates can cause the brown stuff. A week after a water change, the nitrate level is at 80 or higher. I keep the lights on for about 11 hours each day, and I do weekly 25% water changes with cleaning of sides of tank. Oh, I've done a fishless cycle.

I have five young, beautiful male Endler's and a baby who is just about at the age to be sexed, and it looks like a female (!). There is also a young red ramshorn snail in there. He/she can't begin to clean up the brown gunk.

Just tonight I noticed specks of green on the sides of the tank. Is it true that the green will out-compete the brown? I was just checking into RO systems, but maybe what is happening in my tank is a normal cycle. ?

Someone here suggested I be happy with my tap nitrates and plant. I already have lots of plants; there's not much room left for more. Well, no, truth be told I could fit a few more in if I have to. A few of the leaves of the existing plants are getting coated with brown algae, which I can clean off, but it comes right back even worse.

I have a 30g coming my way in a few days. It will be planted while it cycles, and I hope to get the female moved in ASAP. The males are showing mating behaviors to each other, so it's time.

If anyone has had experience with algae in a young tank, I would really appreciate your advice. If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know. Thank you!

How old is that tank? Diatoms is a typical phase of a cycling tank, and can occur anytime in the first several weeks.

That sounds like a reasonable time frame to start getting diatoms. It will stink for awhile, but they will eventually burn themselves out and go away on their own.

I guess in a 5g you'd be too stocked to add any more stock. But if you experience diatoms they usually subside on its own. However, if you had the room, Otocinclus are great at eating diatoms. They cleared up my tank fairly quickly.

You can maybe try a zebra nerite snail.. They have a small bioload.

I started up a 10 gal tank in early June and my diatom bloom has finally abated in that tank. It looks bad and is a pain to continue to clean everything off, but eventually it does end. I didn't want to stock anything that would eat the diatoms, as that wasn't my long range plan for stocking the tank, so I just kept scrubbing it off every few days.

Glad the endlers have settled in.

Thanks to everyone for your advice! It's good to know that this brown coating is a normal part of the process and that it will subside. I appreciate your comments. LOL, it looks dirty right now, but I will do a cleaning on Sat. and every Sat. until this goes away.

And yes, Bbarb, the Endlers seem very comfortable. I love them. I just hope they don't get covered with brown layers of diatoms!

I got my 30g today. I can't move the female or any male into it until it is cycled. I have to start with plants and do a fishless cycle. At least that's the way I want to do it.

As I type, my little guys are eating away at the diatoms. They seem to like them. Maybe it's like Chex Mix!

I really like the idea of following the natural progression of a cycle--in all its stages. Thank you all, again. This forum is the best!

Back
Top Bottom