Brown algae all over my aquarium??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

faysalals1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im doing fish in cycle for my aquarium, but im having alot of brown looking algae all over the aquarium. Im not sure what it is and I never had this issue in my other aquariums. I always use Seachem Prime with Stability when my aquarium is not cycled, but I forgot to use stability this time, so maybe thats what causing it?

nnyDN1D.jpeg

1K2WVgg.jpeg

QwHpzfp.jpeg

uNLWxs6.jpeg

6WY4uX4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Brown algae isnt is a microscopic creature rather than an algae and is sometimes called diatoms. The diatoms feed on excess nutrients and are common in newly established aquariums. In new aquariums they will be feeding on excess silicates from the substrate, rocks, on the surface of the glass. Once these silicates are used up the diatoms usually die off and clear up on their own. This can take a couple of months, in the meantime they are easily cleaned up manually. In more established aquariums diatoms feed on high nitrate so keeping up with your routine water changes will discourage diatoms. Nerite snails are supposed to be good diatom eaters, although they never had for me.

Brown algae isnt is a microscopic creature rather than an algae and is sometimes called diatoms. The diatoms feed on excess nutrients and are common in newly established aquariums. In new aquariums they will be feeding on excess silicates from the substrate, rocks, on the surface of the glass. Once these silicates are used up the diatoms usually die off and clear up on their own. This can take a couple of months, in the meantime they are easily cleaned up manually. In more established aquariums diatoms feed on high nitrate so keeping up with your routine water changes will discourage diatoms. Nerite snails are supposed to be good diatom eaters, although they never had for me.

Is there any medication or salt I can put to lower the brown algae?

Is there any medication or salt I can put to lower the brown algae?

No. It normally clears ls up once whatever is feeding the growth is used up. Its just an ugly stage that most aquariums go through.

Turning up the lights will promote green algae growth and green algae will outcompete the diatoms for available nutrients, but you are then swapping diatoms for green algae.

Manually clean it up. Put some effort into wiping it up, extra water changes to remove excess nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom