All females???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elmware

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, about four months ago, my Marigold Swordtails decided to be such ninfos and have babies. Just a couple weeks ago, I sold them to Paul's Aquarium down the road. As it turns out, they are either all females, or some late bloomers.

One guy there figures that maybe they all come out females and some turn to females. I kinda doubt it, but I am curious if that is the case with these kind of fish, or is it common to have complete runs of all one sex?

The store gives credit which is good for either fish or plants. I got some plants with the credits. They gave me $0.50 CAD for each fish. I kept two of the 31 fish. I'm just happy to have them in a better place than an overcrowded ten gallon tank.

The plants I got are:
1 grass plant.
1 onion plant.
and 1 bunch of horn worts. 1 bunch had two of them.

It is more likely that they are late bloomers, which seems to be more common when things are crowded. I recenly divested myself of a bunch of male guppies. For some reason most of them were male. Out of about 20, only 4 were female.

They were about 1 1/2" - 2" when I sold them.

They are called Marigold Swordtails partly because of their colour which is a yellowish orange like colour or marigold.

I kinda figured that they would be just late bloomers. I think the females are bigger than the males.

Back
Top Bottom