Amazonian tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ywagner

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was thinking about turning my 60 gal into an Amazonian tank, already have fish In mind, but what are some good leaves and driftwood to get?

Sent from my fish tank

Almond leaves, you wanting the heavily tannic (dark) water?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ya, I already know about the almond leaves, but are there any other type that is safe. I've seen palm leaves done, but not sure what kinds to get

Sent from my fish tank

And yes I'm fine with black water

Sent from my fish tank

Not sure..I've heard of people using dried maple leaves. The cheap bog type dw at your lfs will stain the water heavily as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oak Leaves I believe may work. Vendors on TPT sell a lot if leaves very cheaply.

You must avoid ANY pesticides of course. Which in urban areas is difficult. Thus I buy mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Severum, and Geos mainly. Right now I have my largish sds (3-4-5 inch and 5 of them) and my foot long Senegal Bichir but both of those two species could be sold. I also have a recovering rotkeil that I got for a great deal cause it was almost dead

Sent from my fish tank

The bichir wouldn't really fit in with an Amazon tank.

Is a 60 gallon big enough for a pair of severums and a group of geos? I'm an avid understocker so it may just seem cramped to me, I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Haha I'm the exact opposite. Have great filtration so a couple of severums and Geos won't be a problem at all. Don't know what to do with the Bichir tho as it is pretty rare to find one that big

Sent from my fish tank

Give him his own tank? Or keep him in there, I was just saying if you're going for strictly Amazon fish he wouldn't fit the bill. I doubt anyone will be coming and testing you on why there is an African fish in the tank though.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ya that's true, has a great personality and I don't wanna set up a tank just for him. I swear if there was a fish like a dog, it would be my Bichir

Sent from my fish tank

Back
Top Bottom