American Game fish?? Local Water??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sumphead

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone have a local gamefish tank? My LFS sells local gamefish from Largemouth Black Bass to Northern Pike. I own a large pond with a great stock and it would be easier and free to get them myself but don't think I could have them in an aquarium. I'm sure they are happier in an acre+ pond. Although I have considered the catfish, I'm sure it could be lucrative! As far as local laws go, you only have to have a valid fishing permit to puchase them, catch them, and posses them. Size limitations don't even apply. And technically I own them anyway. Any thoughts?

Now as for water, I was also curious if cleaning natural pond water (may be too much of a hassle to do it right) would be benificial. better than tap? How bout vs. RO/DI? Any thoughts?

TIA

Anything you get from a pond will probably be too big for an aquarium. Perhaps you could get some baby bass and raise them for a year or so. You won't be able to extablish a good home for any game fish unless you have a huge tank.

As far as water, if they live there then use it for sure. Maybe half pond water half tap water. RO/DI doesnt' really matter too much for fw, just make sure there isn't chlorine in the water.

Back
Top Bottom