Ammonia...???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XxNoobxX

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi.. I would like to know where can I find those bottles of ammonia to start a fishless cycling process.. I've been looking for this but not luck at all... Walmart has these bottles but they are not 100% ammonia... They have other chemicals... I tried my local pet stores (petsmart and petco) but not luck at all... So for those of you that that use ammonia in a bottle to start the fishless cycling process I would I appreciate if you all help me to know where can I find this... Any comment. any tip related to the use of this or any experience are welcome... Thanks...

You won't find 100% ammonia on the open market.

What you will find is an ammonia + distilled water solution, which sits at like 4% ammonia I think?

eBay and amazon are good places to start searching.

But more importantly, you have to use a brand that has no surfactants or detergents.

I use Jeyes brand, it's cheap and easy to get off the Internet :)

One question though.

Why are you choosing to fish less cycle?

Well I don't want to harm any fish by doing the fish in cycle... So if I exceed on putting too much ammonia then no one is gonna get hurt.. Or if levels of nitrite or nitrate get too high then no fish will get harmed... It doesn't matter if the fishless cycle is completed in months I don't care about waiting that long..... I just don't wanna harm fish... Thats my point of view... So I decided to do it this way...

Ahhh I see.

Well fish in cycling does get painted in a bad light, usually you'll hear horror stories of people fully stocking a tank only to see the levels rise and the fish pop. fall.

But I can't stress enough that if done properly, a fish in cycle is; easy, safe and way more enjoyable than having an empty tank for a month or 2.

But each to their own, and good luck with your cycle!

Ahhh I see.

Well fish in cycling does get painted in a bad light, usually you'll hear horror stories of people fully stocking a tank only to see the levels rise and the fish pop. fall.

But I can't stress enough that if done properly, a fish in cycle is; easy, safe and way more enjoyable than having an empty tank for a month or 2.

But each to their own, and good luck with your cycle!

Hehehe yeah well thank u.!! :)

I couldn't find ammonia without additives locally so I ordered some Dr. Tim's Aquatics ammonium chloride solution from Amazon.

I couldn't find ammonia without additives locally so I ordered some Dr. Tim's Aquatics ammonium chloride solution from Amazon.

Ohh well I think I found ammonia at my local ace hardware store.. But not sure if it has any detergent or chemicals..... I will check it... And thanks for sharing your experience....

I have read that the Ace Hardware ammonia is okay. Check the ingredients list or shake it up. if there are suds after you shake it then don't use it.

Back
Top Bottom